newbie mod questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone, I've been browsing these forums for a while now and learn something new each time I login. I have a couple of questions, but allow me to describe where I am right now.

I've begun my first mod, basically reboxing a T-amp into a cigar box and adding nice connectors. I was originally planning on foregoing the battery pack and just feeding it 13.8 volts from this Pyramid psu from Parts Express, but after fitting everything into the cigar box, I discovered that there is plenty of room for a 12volt SLA battery inside the cigar box.

"Hey!" I figured. "How hard could it be to add a battery?"

But if I add a battery, I need to figure out how to charge it! Well, at least it's an opportunity to learn more :)

Here's my basic question: Can I just hook up my Pyramid 13.8 volt, 3ah power supply to the above battery to charge it? This page, about halfway down in "The Power Supply" section, says:
If you connect a lead acid battery to a power supply that's set to deliver the same voltage as the battery can hold when it's fully charged, you'll charge the battery, and you won't overcharge it. This is called a "float" charge; it's not the fastest way to get amp-hours into the battery, but you can leave the charger connected forever without toasting the battery.

Is 13.8 volts too much to charge a 12 volt sla? I can buy the charger that batterymart.com sells along with the battery, but I already have this psu and I'd like to use it if I can.

What are the benefits/drawbacks of using my current psu? What are the benefits/drawbacks of buying the charger from batterymart.com?

Sorry if this is a really basic question, I'm learning!

Thanks in advance,
Kai

13.8 volts is the correct voltage for float charging a SLA battery. So, both the pyramid and the batterymart charger should work quite well. BUT some regulated power supplies (like the pyramid) don't like seeing a battery at their outputs when they are turned off or unplugged from the wall.

I am not any sort of expert on this, but I have used a few power supplies like yours to charge SLA batteries. I simply added a diode (called a flyback diode?) to the positive output of the psu before the battery. This lowered the voltage somewhat (insignificantly for battery charging) and protected the voltage regulator.

Hope this helps.
regards,
PSz.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.