Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th November 2005, 12:56 AM   #1
mazurek is offline mazurek  United States
diyAudio Member

Default probability of success with ucd180+diy power supply

I need 2 more amps for tweeters (for active two way). They would be about 88-90 db sensitivity.

I was thinking about doing the ucd180 kit from adire (following the power supply plans on their site). I would like the highest quality amplifier with the least frustration in development. Is the hypex class-d amplifier more prone to naive implementation problems due to its switching nature? i.e, if I isolate the power supply from the ucd, will I be ok, or are there more things to consider in assembly?

If so, would you recommend a more entry level amp kit like those at chipamp.com (based on lm3886)?

Thanks for everyone's help so far in getting acquainted with diy (the loudspeaker design cookbook is actively being shipped to my house). I'm closely following plans I've seen on the internet for each part of the problem (crossover, amp, speakers), but am trying to pick involving projects where I may screw up, but I learn a lot.
Old 9th November 2005, 01:46 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Go for it!

UCD180 sound very good even with the simplest PS.
Better Tx and supply caps will, of course, improve the sound.

It is so easy to implement that one feels ashamed considering sound quality v/s actual DIY work

You know there is lot of info here. Try Google for specific questions (if forum mates don't answer )

When you have it, try it on woofers also: you might be willing to build another pair

Good luck.
Mauricio
Old 9th November 2005, 02:01 AM   #3
mazurek is offline mazurek  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the encouragement! I just wish people would buy my listed speakers off audiogon so I could go ahead.
Old 9th November 2005, 06:04 AM   #4
Account Disabled

Send a message via AIM to classd4sure Send a message via MSN to classd4sure
It is actually hard to screw up, and that's even before you consider the insane level of information which has collected here.

If you stopped at the cheapest possible implementation you'd still be very satisified with the sound.

Hide this!Advertise here!