probability of success with ucd180+diy power supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I need 2 more amps for tweeters (for active two way). They would be about 88-90 db sensitivity.

I was thinking about doing the ucd180 kit from adire (following the power supply plans on their site). I would like the highest quality amplifier with the least frustration in development. Is the hypex class-d amplifier more prone to naive implementation problems due to its switching nature? i.e, if I isolate the power supply from the ucd, will I be ok, or are there more things to consider in assembly?

If so, would you recommend a more entry level amp kit like those at chipamp.com (based on lm3886)?

Thanks for everyone's help so far in getting acquainted with diy (the loudspeaker design cookbook is actively being shipped to my house). I'm closely following plans I've seen on the internet for each part of the problem (crossover, amp, speakers), but am trying to pick involving projects where I may screw up, but I learn a lot.

Go for it! :D

UCD180 sound very good even with the simplest PS. ;)
Better Tx and supply caps will, of course, improve the sound.

It is so easy to implement that one feels ashamed considering sound quality v/s actual DIY work :xeye:

You know there is lot of info here. Try Google for specific questions (if forum mates don't answer :D )

When you have it, try it on woofers also: you might be willing to build another pair ;)

Good luck.
Mauricio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.