Small case for small boards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all! Was just surfing around looking fpr a decent looking, not too expensive, case for my AMP3 and its SMPS and found this on ebay:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

It is not very big and looks rather neat, if you can remove the painted giberish from the metal top. The price seems acceptable too. just be warned that I tried to contact the seller more than one week ago about combining shipping and still no reply...

Here's the link for one of these things, otherwise just search for "cd-rom case"

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/USB-2-0-5-25-...8716116975QQcategoryZ3754QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Hope this was helpful for anyone...

Cheers,

Paulo P.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
Hammond Manufacturing makes some nice enclosures as well. I like their diecast aluminum enclosures. They work great as small enclosures for power supplies or amps because they're very strong, easy to machine, and can also act as a nice heatsink for any electronic parts. I also like the look of their new EMI/RFI plastic enclosures. Those would make a real nice case for a small amp.

http://www.hammondmfg.com/scpg.htm

These from MAPOWER are not bad either and the sides should be usable as heatsinks.

Attachments

• case.jpg
    case.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 427
For an Amp3?

You must be able to do something smaller than that.

There are also nice small enclosures available from electronic suppliers for approx 15€ that will fit both amp and a modes PSU. ( in Erope, Conrad is one of them)

My Amp3 enclosure is 14 cm of 35mm copper watertube. It includes all connections, filtercapacitance, Volume pot etc. Only part of the PSU is outside.

Amp3_ready_small.JPG

Yes, OK, it is kinda big but I was thinking in my own needs... It has to accomodate a stepped attenuator wich needs more than 4 cm of width, one (or possibly 2) AMP3 board and the SMPS. Plus, space on the back for connectors, mains sockect, etc. I do like the MAPOWER one very much, and I jsut saw that it also comes in 5.25" sizes.

Where can you get it, PLEASE?

@pcspinheiro,

I've seen casings similar to this one called "Icy Box", but those were for 3.5" HDD, same design though.

Only top & bottom are alu plates, the side beams are something plastic, and the side walls are grated metal - you can see inside the box, but i'm not sure it's so good for EMI shielding and such.

The 3.5" are too small for toroids or anything of course - but small class-d amps could fit in there nicely - Even UcD180 with some kind of spms could fit as a monoblock, but the alu plate would only be 10cm*25cm*1mm, extra cooling fins would be needed I think.

Here's an in-depth review, which means nothing to us, but there's a lot of photo's of the inside!

Icy Box 3.5" Review

pcspinheiro, just make your own case out of acrylic sheets.
This way you have exactly the size you want.
The advantage with acrylic is that it is already finished. I think that you can have it cut to size. You just have to glue.
Disadvantage, perpex is easily scratched.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.