tripath 2020 with low efficiency speakers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th October 2005, 12:39 PM   #1
vern is offline vern  Israel
diyAudio Member

Question tripath 2020 with low efficiency speakers

Hello everyone, new here

I wanted to ask the forum if anyone has experience with driving low efficiency speakers with one of the tripath 2020 based amps (amp3, autocostruire, charlize).

Specifically, I'm considering the Charlize, but I'm not sure it will be able to drive my B&W CDM-1NT's (8ohm, 88db).

Thanks for any advice...

[http://www.bwspeakers.com/downloadFi..._info_CDM1.pdf]
Old 20th October 2005, 12:54 PM   #2
Nuuk is offline Nuuk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

My IPL A2's are rated at 89 db and the Charlize has no problems driving them! Ideally, it would be best to borrow a class-T amp if you know anybody who has one. Even the Sonic Impact T-AMP would be a good guide!
Old 20th October 2005, 01:44 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Re: tripath 2020 with low efficiency speakers

Quote:
Originally posted by vern
Hello everyone, new here

I wanted to ask the forum if anyone has experience with driving low efficiency speakers with one of the tripath 2020 based amps (amp3, autocostruire, charlize).

Specifically, I'm considering the Charlize, but I'm not sure it will be able to drive my B&W CDM-1NT's (8ohm, 88db).

Thanks for any advice...

[http://www.bwspeakers.com/downloadFi..._info_CDM1.pdf]

Hi,

I use Carlize to power some big 3 ways (85 db, 4 ohm) with no problems. It will depend on your listening habits and the size of your room. If your room is not too big and you play music a low to medium level, then you should be OK.

Your B&W will love Charlize ! You will get a more present bass from this little puppy and keep the good mid and HF.

I plan to visit a friend and try my Charlize with some very good B&W 3 ways he have. I don't know if this will happen into the near future.

You should order Charlize and try it in a cheap prototype. This way, you won't have to pay big $$ to see if you like what you get.
Old 20th October 2005, 02:06 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I see the IPL A2 are 89db and 8ohm, only slightly more efficient than mine - so there's hope
As for trying a t-amp - it's based on the 2024 (15w) and weaker than the 2020 (20w) based amps. In terms of power should I just think of it as providing 75% of what the 2020 can do?

Thanks
Old 20th October 2005, 02:17 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Vern, there is no realistic difference between 15W and 20W so don't let it influence your decision.

Andrew
Old 20th October 2005, 03:12 PM   #6
Nuuk is offline Nuuk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
As for trying a t-amp - it's based on the 2024 (15w) and weaker than the 2020 (20w) based amps. In terms of power should I just think of it as providing 75% of what the 2020 can do?
I only mentioned the T-AMP as it is more likely that you may know somebody with one! I agree wit hthe others though - you should be fairly safe in buying the Charlize.
Old 20th October 2005, 03:44 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Be warned, the CDM1NT's (i'm not sure if you have the old ones or those with nautilus tweeters) are a strange load.

They are not really difficult, but they do drop to about 5 ohms in the bass region.

The larger 7 and 9NT's had 3.3 ohm official minimal load on the specs. (The 9NT shared the N804's drivers)
Old 20th October 2005, 08:41 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Positive opinions so far and I'm becoming more and more convinced I should go for it

Yves - About your warning:
CDM-1NT is the one with the nautilus tweeters. What do you mean when you say it is a strange load? What should I be hearing (or not hearing, as the case may be)?
Old 20th October 2005, 09:49 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I meant the impedance vs frequency curve isn't easy for an amp to drive. You can't really hear it if the amp's got trouble, maybe it's going to clip faster and won't handle the bass so well.

The CMD-9NT and the N804 are worse because they are 3 way (impedance between 3 and 8 ohms)

You can't really hear it, but with less capable amps, the CDM-9NT and 804's were told to have anemic bass and harsh treble.

Don't worry, it's not that bad with the small CDM-1(NT) and the 805, less difficult do drive.

Go for it!
Old 21st October 2005, 07:51 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Now that we are on this topic, do you guys think that I can get away with using a 41Hz AMP3 and a pair of wharfedale diamond 9.1 (86dB, 6 Ohm)? They won the what-hifi award for under 250 stereo speaker (and I wanted them before anyway, because I always heard good reviews and also because of the price of 176).

Cheers!

Hide this!Advertise here!