tripath 2020 with low efficiency speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've tried TA2020 amps with two different speakers:

88dB at 8 Ohms, giving around 7 clean watts
This was good, but sometimes I was frustrated when I wanted to rock out. Enough power for 80-90% of the time.

88dB at 4 Ohms, giving around 14 clean watts
Perfect. Beautiful at low/mid volumes, and sufficiently loud to drive a moderately crazy new year's eve party.

soundcheck said:
Two batteries, one for analog one for digtial are recommened anyhow. Even separation of digtal and analog on the source will make a difference. ;)

Considering that the 2020, 2021 and 2024 was primarily designed with portable/car audio in mind. Having to have seperate batteries for it to work is a major setback. If not a complete stop in usability.

If you don't want a the input cap just use a high quality input trafo instead. It has several advantages over an input cap, and none of the drawbacks of direct connecting it.

Re: Input Caps, Trafo

p-macaudio said:
Saturnus,

What are the advantages of the Trafo vs. Input Caps that you speak of?

1) They completely seperate the source from the amp.

2) You can get step-up input trafos so you can make more advanced input filters and/or passive line level filters without the use of a pre-amp. Or in any case eliminate the need for a pre-amp.

Saturnus' Boominator

Saturnus,

BTW, I wanted to mention that I think your boominator is super cool. I've been working on a bicycle mounted sound system as well based on T-Amps. You can check out a few photos here <a href=http://www.flickr.com/photos/macpaulster/sets/72157612483184893/.com>

How does the Boominator sound? Are you happy with the result? Anything you would do different?

Re: Re: Input Caps, Trafo

Saturnus said:

1) They completely seperate the source from the amp.

2) You can get step-up input trafos so you can make more advanced input filters and/or passive line level filters without the use of a pre-amp. Or in any case eliminate the need for a pre-amp.

Are you sure you can use the transformer instead of cap? The transformer secondary builds a DC bridge on the secondary. Did you try it?

Re: Saturnus' Boominator

p-macaudio said:
Saturnus,

How does the Boominator sound? Are you happy with the result? Anything you would do different?

I am constantly amazed by the sound quality of the Boominator, you have to consider that sound quality was not the primary design parameter. It's built from some of the cheapest, but cheerypicked, drivers you can find to provide insanely loud outdoors listening levels in a very compact format using virtually no power, in fact with the right solar panel and a few hours of sun light/several hours of overcast weather per day it can run forever off grid.

Don't just take my word for it though. In the Boominator thread there's an Aussie guy who succesfully made a clone of it, and he's equally impressed. And I'd say the sound quality is probably better than 90% of all home stereos sold today. Definately many leaps ahead of ALL other boomboxes/iPod players regardless of cost.

I truly believe that apart from the improved tweeter option and the larger solar panel suggested in the thread there's absolutely no way to improve the design. I am however working on making it an easier DIY build.

Re: Tripath 2020 with 4 Ohm vs. 8 Ohm

p-macaudio said:
kristleifur,

Did you really see a huge difference between running 4 Ohm speakers vs. 8 Ohm with Tripath 2020? Anyone else have opinions on this? Is the difference MORE pronounced with less efficient speakers (e.g. 88db)?

I can't say the difference was huge, but it was definitely noticeable. It went over the line from being "very satisfying" to "almost perfect".

I can't say about the efficiency ... I haven't tried that many different speakers, but IMO it all works together.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.