Charlize, my thoughts - Page 12 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th November 2005, 03:52 PM   #111
diyAudio Member

Default Subs

Nuuk:
I used a Charlize (also Autocostruire and a modded T-amp) with a VMPS New Original sub, Acurus A100 (one channel), Behringer XO crossed anywhere between 60-200 hz (depending on the recording), driving Lowther MLTL's, VMPS QSO404's, GMA Europas. I'd say they successfully integrated, after messing with phasing, input and output levels, VMPS tuning. The Acurus, of course, doesn't have enough steam.
However, I just built a dual monobloc ICEpower amp using two 250ASP's. I'm working on another ICE mono to power the sub.

Regards,
Larry Welsh
Old 10th November 2005, 04:17 PM   #112
Nuuk is offline Nuuk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Do you have a diagram for the buffer you are using between monica and charlize?
It's a Pedja Rogic design that you can read about here .

Quote:
I'd say they successfully integrated, after messing with phasing, input and output levels, VMPS tuning.
Well, I tried swapping the phase but I can only change 180 degrees by swapping the plugs around. I didn't seem to sound 'right' weither way.
Old 10th November 2005, 10:11 PM   #113
barfind is offline barfind  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nuuk

It's a Pedja Rogic design that you can read about here .

Well, I tried swapping the phase but I can only change 180 degrees by swapping the plugs around. I didn't seem to sound 'right' weither way.

I have Variable phase adjust on my sub amps. I figure I have it around 120, or it may 70 depending on which way you look at it. Anyway it seems to work seamlessly in my system.
Old 10th November 2005, 10:14 PM   #114
Nuuk is offline Nuuk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I have Variable phase adjust on my sub amps. I figure I have it around 120, or it may 70 depending on which way you look at it. Anyway it seems to work seamlessly in my system.
That may be (yet) another thing that I ahve to investigate!
Old 13th November 2005, 09:44 AM   #115
diyAudio Member

Today I played a Telarc Digital disc. "THE FIREBIRD". I haven't played this for several years, manly because , after I sold my Naim amp, nothing else I owned played it with the dynamics, pace & rythem that it deserved. Well that was until Charlize. Man all I can say is that this is an amazing amp. The dynamics from this 6 watt amp is mind boggling .
I can see me owning thia amp for a long time.

Nigel
Old 13th November 2005, 01:56 PM   #116
diyAudio Member

Default Me Too

I too like Charlize's dynamic range - it is very impressive.
I think I've had her now about three weeks and once in a while I take the top off my case, look in, and still can't believe so much is coming out of this little thing.

I have had quite a few amps and I have mostly prefered low wattage amps for their speed and clarity - even if somewhat lacking in dynamics.
I wander if some of the other Higher wattage d-class amps out there can give us even more dynamic range withought losing Charlize's clarity and speed.
Maybe a Charlize II @ 15 to 30 or maybe even 100W.

Bachiano
Old 14th November 2005, 05:09 AM   #117
MrDodo is offline MrDodo  Mauritius
diyAudio Member

100w Charlize... But then you would need appropriate power supply. Certainly not battery powered nor the single rail 12v PS of the current Chalize. Which will mean bigger box and higher cost. So that it will be harder to test with different PS than the universal +12v that Charlize only need.
And I'm not even sure it will sound better than Charlize.
Some ppl have compared amp1 (100w if I remember correctly) and amp3 (comparable to Charlize) of 41hz somewhere, don't remember where.
Old 14th November 2005, 05:27 AM   #118
diyAudio Member

Very few high powered amps have the sweetness of low powered amps. I cant imagine driving my 99db OB's witha 100watts .

Nigel
Old 14th November 2005, 07:22 AM   #119
Hara is offline Hara  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm concerned about you guys wanting more dynamics from the charlize. Exactly how loud are you playing the music? Is it because the listening area is large that more dynamics is neccessary?

I plan on getting a charlize with aircores, and use it to power a folded MLTL with fostex fe167 (94 db/w/m according to data sheets) probably with baffle step for listening in a small room in an apartment. We'll it be adequate? I've listened to my dad's stereo at home and the amp gets really loud past 2 watts on speakers that have a 89 db/w/m rating. How loud is sound in terms of 6 watts, 20 watts, 50 watts, 100 watts? Isn't listening beyond 80 db for prolonged period of times not good for hearing? I understand you need wattage for peaks and wattage must double to increase 3 db, but still...

(Lot of questions, couldn't find by searching, seemed like right thread to ask... )
Old 14th November 2005, 08:45 AM   #120
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hara
I'm concerned about you guys wanting more dynamics from the charlize. Exactly how loud are you playing the music? Is it because the listening area is large that more dynamics is neccessary?

I plan on getting a charlize with aircores, and use it to power a folded MLTL with fostex fe167 (94 db/w/m according to data sheets) probably with baffle step for listening in a small room in an apartment. We'll it be adequate? I've listened to my dad's stereo at home and the amp gets really loud past 2 watts on speakers that have a 89 db/w/m rating. How loud is sound in terms of 6 watts, 20 watts, 50 watts, 100 watts? Isn't listening beyond 80 db for prolonged period of times not good for hearing? I understand you need wattage for peaks and wattage must double to increase 3 db, but still...

(Lot of questions, couldn't find by searching, seemed like right thread to ask... )
Hi Hara, I dont think anyone is wanting more dynamics from their charlize. We are saying more that we are amazed by what this amp can do. I compared it to my 75w Naim in the dynamics. You will have no trouble with the Charlize with your speakers. You have made a good choice getting the air core charlize. I am over the moon with mine. It replaced a 300bSET, and I was so happy with it , after 3 weeks I sold my 300b. You will get plenty of volume with 94dbspeakers , even with losing a couple of db with the network . You will find that charlize has plenty up its sleeve for dynamic passages. I played the "FireBird" a couple of days ago, and it scared my wife with the dynamic range. Its all good, and I am sure you will be happy.

Nigel

Hide this!Advertise here!