Charlize, my thoughts

smps problem

If you use a SMPS you do need to use a buffer/reservoir cap between it and the supply. This cap should be at least 10,000uf and mounted close to the amp module with short twisted wires connecting it. This stops most of the HF noise as well as improving short term regulation of the supply. If you are not doing this I can understand your disappointment.
Roger

Hi folks. I have just got my "charlize" Going. It has about 3 hours on it. I run from a 7ah SLA. I have 10,000uf caps feeding the amp from the battery. Sounds OK, lots of detail, but a bit polite. I am wondering if the low amps from the battrey is making it a bit laid back. What is the max amps that this chip can take. I thought I read somewhere it's about 28 amps. Maybe I need an AC supply giving charlize 13.8v and about 20 amps or so.
Any observations, recomendations. Charlize drives a pair of 100db OB's.

Nigel

hi barfind

First - "Maybe I need an AC supply giving charlize 13.8v and about 20 amps or so."

NO NO NO - do not give Charlize AC or you will kill her. :whazzat:
Second - with the battery, take the cap off, and see how you like it.
If the cap is not fast, it will make the sound "polite"

I have Charlize and she is a sweety.
What kind of speakers do you have? What are OB's?

I am running Quad 57's and Charlize will only draw .5 amps at most with an orchestral tympany full blast.
If I have the pot 100% open, Charlize will break up trying to play that tympany.
I'm trying to figure out if it is the limit of Charlize or the PSU. I don't know yet.
But I'm leaning toward Charlize's limits.
My PSU will do 3 clean amps.

Hope that helps.

I don't thinks it is about the number of amps but about how fast those amps can be delivered.

You should have at least 0ne amp and you do!

Bachiano

Re: hi barfind

bachiano said:

NO NO NO - do not give Charlize AC or you will kill her. :whazzat:
Second - with the battery, take the cap off, and see how you like it.
If the cap is not fast, it will make the sound "polite"

What kind of speakers do you have? What are OB's?

My PSU will do 3 clean amps.

Hope that helps.

/B]

Thanks bachiano. When I said AC power supply, I meant a properly regulated supply. Is this still a NO NO, or should I go with a switching power supply?

My Speakers are Visaton B200's in open baffle.

I will take the caps out and see if it makes a difference. Thanks

Nigel

Nigel,
You must try the SMPS with Charlize. My bet is that it will sound much better than battery.
I also bypassed the 10000uf cap with 480uf + 48uf + 4uf + 1uf + 0.1uf + 0.01uf. If it sounds overkill, it is.
Make sure that the small value caps are of high quality and placed close to the amp. Personally I use cannibalized caps from dead computer power supplies.
I hoped I had your Visaton B200 with my Monica2 and T-amp, you lucky man... except that then I would need another house to put the
Huge Open Baffle.

MrDodo said:
Nigel,
You must try the SMPS with Charlize. My bet is that it will sound much better than battery.
I also bypassed the 10000uf cap with 480uf + 48uf + 4uf + 1uf + 0.1uf + 0.01uf. If it sounds overkill, it is.
Make sure that the small value caps are of high quality and placed close to the amp. Personally I use cannibalized caps from dead computer power supplies.
I hoped I had your Visaton B200 with my Monica2 and T-amp, you lucky man... except that then I would need another house to put the
Huge Open Baffle.

MrDodo What is the SMPS? .I will try anything;)
Tell me , do you like your Monica2. What are you using for a transport. I am thinking of getting a Monica as well.
The B200 are superb, and can match the charlize in the detail department.

Nigel

Von Schweikert+2xAutocostruire

Hi, i'm running 2 Autocostruire amps bi-amping my Von Schweikert VR4.5 speakers (90db 6ohm)
For power supplies i use 2 NEMIC-LAMBDA switchmode power supplies (11-25v,2.8amps each) that i scored off ebay for $20.
I set them at 14.2v. They sound even better with these smpss than from battery or linear ps, i have tried them all too.

my Von Schweikert vr4.5 spkrs are big full rangers ,i have had 7 years. The sound i am getting from them with 2 Autocostruire amps and smpss is really superb .

:D
d

Nigel,
SMPS-> Switch Mode Power Supply. I know that Nuuk used to carry some. Does not know if he still have them and he's in UK.
I've seen SMPS at APEXJR very cheap, haven't tried them though. You can contact Steve Slater at steve.apexjr@prodigy.net to inquire. Nice guy, he's in US.
I guess that you'll be better off getting it locally. For my part I import most of my stuff coz I'm in Mauritius and most of the time I get: Mauritius, where's that?
The Monica2 is real smooth. Some don't like NOS Dac. I kinda like them, just a matter of taste. I think that Nuuk used one for the TNT review of the different t-amps but he wouldn't say so.

Re: Von Schweikert+2xAutocostruire

davee said:
Hi, i'm running 2 Autocostruire amps bi-amping my Von Schweikert VR4.5 speakers (90db 6ohm)
For power supplies i use 2 NEMIC-LAMBDA switchmode power supplies (11-25v,2.8amps each) that i scored off ebay for $20.
I set them at 14.2v. They sound even better with these smpss than from battery or linear ps, i have tried them all too.

my Von Schweikert vr4.5 spkrs are big full rangers ,i have had 7 years. The sound i am getting from them with 2 Autocostruire amps and smpss is really superb .

:D
d

Thanks davee. I will try the smps. Thanks for your input. Where in the northern Rivers are you?

Nigel

The Monica2 as I found out quite low output and I sometimes need to open the 50K stepped attenuator full to really get decent volume.
Yesterday I decided to connect Monica2 directly to input of amp3.
Skipping one element can only be an improvement, so I thought.
But then I get a sort of pink noise on the left channel. Sort of waves breaking on the beach.
The right channel no noise.
Anyone tried hodrodding Monica2 yet?

I an looking at a 13.5v 18 amp SMPS. I like the idea of 13.5 v. I am not sure how many amps charlize will draw, but this supply will have it well covered. Is this overkill? I am thinking that this amp is worth the investment in a good power supply.
Any thoughts?

Nigel