thinking about the UCD modules.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
so, im wanting to get a few projects done so i can clear out my basement of all the stuff. ive already contacted a guy that does machining to get a price quote on finishing my cases.

they were originally designed with an aleph2 monoblock in mind. but, after doing more calculations, it just seems like its going to be too hot. it will work, but it will just be HOT. i think the case would be like 80C or something like that (considering worst case scenario, room temperature, etc.) and thats for an 80 pound case, and i only get 100 watts :(

the truth is, my current speakers are power hogs and 100 watts really does nothing for me. i currently bi-amping with 2 220watt amps per speaker and its just barely enough to get them to the levels i want. so, a 100-watt monoblock is nice, but i would need something else to help it out, or go with a full active bi-amped system.

so, enter the UCD module. over the past month or so, ive read all the threads on the UCD180, 400 and 700. it was a LOT of reading. so i really dont have many questions. and im NOT going to ask "how will it sound compared to a pass labs amp?" that is something only i can figure out. but, my question is, what amp can i try out to get an idea of the sound quality? i dont want to drop much cash, i just want to get an idea of what im in for. i dont care how it sounds compared to the aleph2, i dont even know how that sounds yet. i just want to know, "will a UCD sound good with my speakers". thats all. ive heard of people building amp1's and such for cheap just to get an idea... does anyone have one of these for sale?

i know my cases are WAY overkill for the cooling requirements of the UCD modules, but i dont care. the heatsinks will be just for show. im considering doing stereo UCD700 amps (two of them). i mean, who not? plus, that would allow the case to maybe raise a few degrees...

plus, i have a couple 1.7KVA transformers that i was going to use for the aleph2's that have 45v secondaries, which would be right in line for the UCD400's.

so, am i crazy to abondon the alpeh2's and use UCD modules instead?

haha.

hey mike, whaaaaaaaaats happening...

long time no talk. actually, i dont use a center channel, and i plan to biamp front and rears (currently i just biamp the fronts). so that would be 8 channels. and i use 4ft speaker cables on the fronts, so i need at least 2 amps, one left and one right...

i would be good with just a stereo amp. of course a double stereo (4-channel) would be cool, and do two of those. but with the price of the modules at around $250 each, that would be $2k in just modules. thats much more than i have to spend. so ill just do 4 for now...

but anyways, is it a crazy idea to abondon a pair of aleph2 monoblocks for UCD modules?

ackcheng said:
Oh! Man! you made so much effort to make it looks like Pass products! What a waste? I have heard Aleph 2 and it is really very good!

I have UCD400. While it is good too, but I find the bass is lacking - that is to my liking anyway.

sure, there was a lot of effort to make it look like a real pass amp, BUT, it was never going to be an exact XA200 clone. it was going to be a very nice cloned chassis with an aleph2 inside.

so, putting something else inside isnt a whole lot different than having an aleph2 inside. neither are that the "original" was.

but, the ultimate truth is, 100 watts just isnt enough juice for what i need. if i built this amp as a 100-watt monoblock, i would end up getting another amp to drive the bottom end of the speaker too. it would mainly be just for show. it wouldnt be my main amp, it would be a tweeter amp. thats a waste of time to build a DIY amp that looks THAT good just to use it as a supplemental amp.

so, which amp could i get thats cheap to get an idea of how this class d stuff sounds? i heard the aleph2 was a little bass shy too. its not a big deal for me, i crossover at like 80-100hz and give ALL bass to my subwoofers, which handle it just fine. i just need clarity, soundstaging (very important), and imaging.

could an amp3 or amp6 give me that "taste" of whats possible with this new breed of class D?

Hey Cowanrg,
I have similar questions you have. I too have power hungry speakers (MMG).
I was thinking about getting the Charlize as an intro to class D amps, since Nuuk's T-amp article on TNT stated that the Charlize sounds the best (not by a big margin though), and its not too expensive.
It would be nice to hear how it is compared to my tube amp.

I have UCD400. While it is good too, but I find the bass is lacking - that is to my liking anyway.

I've changed block rectifier/2xBC156 22.000uF's for the Hypex HG (slitfoils)

Bass is a little more pronounced, but very tight!

@cowanrg,

Give it a go, buy 2 UcD400AD's. You have nice toroids just lying there, find 2 caps and a block rectifier and you're ready to test (without DC protection and such, but you can test them)

2x45V might trip the overvoltage though, however, I think I've read the overvoltage limit has been put higher again in the newest 400 batch.

UcD is something special, you need to hear it! I see you don't run a center channel, you'll love the UcD's, they image very well and super precise (got fooled more than once, I was thinking my HTM2 center was running between my 804's and it wasn't :eek: )

well, how about this...

would you be interested in buying a second-hand amp from me? i was thinking about the amp6. its very cheap and not surface mount. they say the surface mount sounds better, but i just want an idea of how it sounds, not the final end result...

the charlize is too underpowered for me. its only 20watts, and would be $96 shipped. its too expensive for me to just play around with, and 20 watts isnt enough to do anything with.

so, it comes back to the 41hz stuff. the amp6 is only $40 plus shipping. its only 2x25w into 4 ohms, but its cheap :) also, if i had a place to unload it, i might entertain the amp1. its 2x100watts into 4 ohms and only $54 plus shipping. i would be willing to get one of those if i knew i could unload it and only lose a few bucks. the only downside, it needs to be built and its surface mount...

let me know. i want to get moving on this, and i just want to hear something first. unfortunately, the UCD modules are a bit pricey to just play around with.

i need to add something to my post to lawbadman.

the amp3, amp6 and charlize all can be run from either 12v batteries or just a transformer (the amp6 has PSU onboard). this makes playing around and testing very easy! those might be the ones to go with...

Yves,

yeah, it would be nice to just buy a pair of UCD400's and play, but at $185 each, its a bit of a gamble. im sure i could get rid of them later, but still. i would rather know a little more about what im getting into first. however, if i didnt like it, i guess i COULD just sell them on here for the same loss as i would if i bought the cheaper ones. so, worst case i would be out like $50. hum, i might give it a thought.

im actually going to my favorite surplus store today to look at caps and a few other things. adios!

cowanrg,

I realize it's a "big" gamble. I took it too, on faith of what I read on this forum, and the good things I've read about a Van Medevoort amp that uses some kind of UcD, and of course the glorious posts on the forum.

For testing, I actually hacked my Yamaha receiver first. Took the power lines from the main amps to feed the UcD's... :xeye: - I was in love... Next I got a block rectifier and 2 large surplus 22.000uF cans and connected them to an old Akai transformer, listened to that until last week. Now the Akai's guts are ripped out and replaced by all hypex stuff (I wanted softstart/DC protection , it was the easy way to go) Vintage look for my class-D amp :D

You can always sell it later I guess, I'm sure some lurkers here might be interested in buying a completed amp.

You can also buy the ST versions, but i'm not sure it's the same thing. 180's would be a loss for you as they aren't powerful enough for you.

Maybe if you share where you live, you could meet up with another DIYaudio forum member that has a working amp?

@Sinski,

I only compared the BC 156 22.000uF caps to the hypex (BCC slitfoils) and the latter is better for me. Of course the comparison isn't exactly right, as I used basic rectifying and a much lower VA transformer with the BC's.

Bass is much tighter with the large 500VA toroid/hypex PS, and somewhat silkier sound (less "straining" to the ear, more relaxed listening)

lawbadman said:
Hey cowanrg,
Which amp have you got?
I forgot about the amp1, the power output for the price is not too bad, plus good reviews, hmmmmm :scratch:
I am tempted to get it but I would need to buy a trafo for it, or find some way to get +/-35 from +/-45.

i currently use rotel amps for my main speakers. they are nice, but im sure they could be better.

whatever amp i decide to go with will replace those, so i want to make something decent.

i looked around my parts bin (huge) and found a few goodies! i already have transformers that will work (well, they are a bit high voltage, but i can defeat the overvoltage protection on the UCD's), and i found 12 2,200 200V caps. so, i could use 6 per amp for 13,200 per amp. that should be enough for testing at least. all i need is a bridge rectifier, but i have some of those laying around im sure.

i think i might just get a pair of UCD400's. if i dont like them, i can sell them. but if they work, i can use them and im not out any money.

lawbadman,

ultimately, i am interested in the UCD700's once they come out. maybe ill play around with the 400's to see what i think and end up selling them. if i do, ill let you know. im not sure yet though. if you end up wanting to get an AMP1, let me know, i would be interested in trying it as well.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.