T-amps and Electrostatics

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
great to see all that nice audio stuff

Thanks for the link Vph 2020

I just got a vph 1031q1
I'm new to the crt thing but I'm climbing fast up the steap learnig curve.

I just got Charlize from DIY paradise and tried her with my Quad 57's.
I was amazed. Wow - this little thing delivers some serious hi-fi.
I used a 100k pot cause I had it laying around - I'll get a 50k and 10k to play with and then I'll try a tube pre amp.
I first powered her with a little square 9 volt battery and it did in fact get congested
at high level, but then I switch to 12 volt and the congestion all but disapeared.
Next I'll try a smps and a linear ps.
At normal listening levels the detail, separation, transient response are all exquisite.
After listening for a couple of days I switch back to tube amps to hear the differences.
My tubes amps (Quad II, Heathkit AU1, Altec 128B, Dynaco MkIII - all with their various tonal difference ) did not seem to have the same level of detail ;However, I did found my self listening to the tubes longer - the tubes seem to communicate emotion better, even if they lack a little detail.
I think the T amps have incredible potential - I have to keep in mind that I am comparing a cheap little amp against classic tube amps. And that says alot about this new technology, because this little amp does not sound cheap.
I can't wait to try a tube preamp. I think the combination will be very illuminating.

Bachiano

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.