Just playing with my Charlize

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I know I'm years late for this thread ...

... but this was my simple solution to the Charlize turn-on pop - leaving just a simple switch. I use a SMPS, this would probably not be good for batteries.

Just wire a 280ohm resistor across the switch output poles. (It is listed as an option on Yeo's site.)

This means that OFF is actually a low-current stand-by-mode. then ON gives the full 12 volts with only a faint click from the speakers. (96db/watt Full rangers).

Perhaps not as green as the three-way rotary solution, but you kind of expect a simple on-off switch on an amp.

I'll be recasing mine soon (to add multiple inputs) and will probably go for a power on/off switch at the back, then the standby/on switch (as above) at the front.

Impedence matters ...

Just took delivery of a new toy - a Promitheus Transformer Volume Control. This is now between my source (Quad 77) and the Charlize.

Very impressed ... just trying to work out what this has done to the sound.

1. Definite loss of some midrange clutter. Nice.
2. Top end sounds just as extended, but slightly sweeter with no dullness.
3. Overall increase in weight - particularly at low to mid listening volumes.
4. No downsides I've noticed ... yet (only about 4 hours listening).

This is a keeper. Not cheap for a volume control with 4 inputs - but this has lived up to its hype.

The change is not just bypassing the pot (an Alps blue), because it is currently burning in at full volume, with the Alps pot providing the volume control - and the difference is obvious.

So I presume that it is the impedence matching - providing a high impedence to the CDP (which apparently they like) and a low one to the Amp (ditto). Rather than the impedence compromise when a simple pot is used.

If it was nicked I would buy it again in a flash!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.