Just playing with my Charlize - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th October 2005, 11:50 AM   #31
Nuuk is offline Nuuk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Seriously, I think placing a switch between speakers and output is a good solution.
Yes, and why not use a rotary switch? A four pole three postion would allow you to have position one as (both power and speakers) off, position 2 as power on/speakers off and then position 3 as both power and speakers on!

That way you could turn on power, wait a couple of seconds and then connect the speakers all with one switch! Of course you would have to short out positions two and three for the power switch!
Old 13th October 2005, 12:31 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

Hi all,
Please tried switching on the Charlize via a 240 - 280 ohms, 1/2W resistor connected on the positive supply line. bypass the resistor after that for normal listening. This will eliminate the 'start-up pop' issue.

I've tried this method on the Charlize that I'm having (with the air-core as well as with the ferrite core) and now I can only hear a slight 'click' when the 240 ohms resistor is bypass.
Old 13th October 2005, 01:11 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

I have just installed a four pole 3 way rotary switch on the Autocostruire amp and it works a treat! You need about a second interval before going from postion two to position three!

And I can hear no difference in sound quality!
Old 13th October 2005, 02:17 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Nuuk & vt4c,

thanks for sharing you great idea

I'll try vt4c solution as it's the simplest one to implement. I already have a on/off switch installed for the mute. I will remove the mute wiring and replace it with the bypass wiring.

By the way, next week I'll bring my Woodini (it' the name of my implemantation of Charlize ) to a friend home. He has some big Magna Planar speakers that he power with a Audio Research tubes amp. We want to see if Woodini will be able to deliver some magical music with these beasts. We won’t push Woodini to hard.

Thanks again !
Old 13th October 2005, 03:03 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

Quote:
By the way, next week I'll bring my Woodini (it' the name of my implemantation of Charlize ) to a friend home.
So long as you don't lock her in a trunk, throw her into the St. Lawrence River and excect her to escape that's OK. Or shall we ask Yeo to modify her a bit more?
Old 13th October 2005, 07:10 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nuuk

So long as you don't lock her in a trunk, throw her into the St. Lawrence River and excect her to escape that's OK. Or shall we ask Yeo to modify her a bit more?
no, nO, NO, the only thing I ask to Woodini is to help me to escape from the reality of this world a few hours each week
Old 13th October 2005, 09:06 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Quote:
no, nO, NO, the only thing I ask to Woodini is to help me to escape from the reality of this world a few hours each week
I escaped reality by coming to DIY hi-fi! Now I'm trying to escape back to reality again!
Old 14th October 2005, 01:03 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

Quote:

I escaped reality by coming to DIY hi-fi! Now I'm trying to escape back to reality again!
Not easy for sure
Old 15th October 2005, 08:14 AM   #39
diyAudio Member

I tried the resistor trick but used two, and a two pole 6-way rotary switch.

Position 1 +off
Position 2 & 3 = 300R resistor
Position 4 & 5 = 180R resistor
Position 6 = straight wire.

This still gives a very small click when the switch is turned to fully on so there's not much point in using the second resistor!
Old 15th October 2005, 11:31 AM   #40
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I tried the resistor trick but used two, and a two pole 6-way rotary switch.

Position 1 +off
Position 2 & 3 = 300R resistor
Position 4 & 5 = 180R resistor
Position 6 = straight wire.

This still gives a very small click when the switch is turned to fully on so there's not much point in using the second resistor!
I have tried one 270 ohm resistor with a bypass switch as proposed by vt4c and it worked very well

The mod was done on my Autocostruire prototype as it was faster to do. Now, I'll open Woodini and replace the mute configuration by the resistor/bypass switch configuration.

It is too late for Woodini (I like the look with two knob anyway). but for my next project, I'll use a rotary switch. It is a little bit more user friendly

Thanks a lot Nuuk and vt4c

Now that you posted these solutions to the POP problem, many of us will use it and live happy with their Charlize

Hide this!Advertise here!