Just playing with my Charlize - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th October 2005, 08:08 PM   #11
dede is offline dede  France
diyAudio Member

Hi everybody,

I receive three charlize too, but they still waiting a case an psu.

But i have got littles questions for those who already try this little things, Is it true they don't need headskins?

Do you thinks using a computer (fanless) power supply could be a good idea?

Regards
Old 11th October 2005, 08:11 PM   #12
Nuuk is offline Nuuk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Yes, they can run without a heatsink. If the PSU puts out 12 volts then it should be OK to try it with the Charlize. What is the rating of that PSUat 12 volts?
Old 11th October 2005, 08:45 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dede
Hi everybody,

Do you thinks using a computer (fanless) power supply could be a good idea?

Regards
Hi,

if you can, measure the power supply output to be sure that it is not to hight.

Regards,
Old 12th October 2005, 01:44 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Andy,
I'm sure Charlize can drive some relatively low efficiency speaker.
Just last week-end, I brought the Charlize over to have a listening session at a friend’s place. His set-up was pretty good and comprises of :-

a.) CEC belt drive CDP (can't remember exactly which model)
b.) Unison Research Simply 845
c.) Focus Audio 58 Sig. speakers

Assortment of power-cord, interconnect and speakers that are expensive.

Played a couple of songs including Patricia Barber's 'Live: A Fortnight In France' CD. Listening to the U.R Simply 845 was quite satisfying. However, swapping the Charlize against the Simply 845 into the exiting set-up simply was experience to be-hold.

The piano simply sounded more 'real' compared to the Simply 845. The Charlize puts the whole sound-stage into a much clearer and better perspective. With the Charlize, I was virtually transformed into the same hall where Patricia was performing. In comparison, the Simply 845 portrayed a somewhat smaller picture of the performance that I felt is not in the correct proportion.

The owner of the set-up was simply stunned by what he heard from the Charlize, which cost a fraction of what he paid for the Simply 845. I was told the speaker was rated at a low of 85dB.
Old 12th October 2005, 02:55 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Hi all,

Glad to know that there are lots of Charlize lovers. It is an incredibly tiny amp. Will explore more on this class D technology.

By the way, I have just solved the Charlie start up problem. My PSU has selectable Output voltage from 1.5V to 15V. I start the Charlie using 6V output. Then gradually raise up the voltage to 12V. No start up pop now. May try a soft starter before the PSU later.

Happy exlploring and listening to the Class D.

Andy
Old 12th October 2005, 03:39 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
By the way, I have just solved the Charlie start up problem.
Not a sex change!

Quote:
I start the Charlie using 6V output. Then gradually raise up the voltage to 12V. No start up pop now.
Well, that's interesting to know Andy but I wonder how many of us have variable power supplies!

I must get around to trying the mute option as Yeo suggested. But how do you do that when you can't stop listening to the damn thing?
Old 12th October 2005, 03:48 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nuuk

Well, that's interesting to know Andy but I wonder how many of us have variable power supplies!

I must get around to trying the mute option as Yeo suggested. But how do you do that when you can't stop listening to the damn thing?
Hi,

If you try it, please let us know if it worked for you. For me, it doesn’t work. The pop is still about the same.

A soft start would be the solution, but I wonder if someone already made one that could be place between the amp and the PSU

With a SPMS, it's not possible to use the soft start before the PSU

Last week I tried to use a Thermistor between the SPMS and the amp. The result was bad.....a big noise instead of a pop. After a few on/off, the thermistor was contaminating the DC current with some "frying" noise. I'll try some thermistor with bigger amperage, but I'm not optimistic.
Old 12th October 2005, 04:53 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
PSU with selected output is very cheap in Hong Kong. My unit rated at 5A has output selection of 1.5V-3V-4.5V-6V-7.5V-9V-12V-15V. It costs USD30.

Quote:
If you try it, please let us know if it worked for you. For me, it doesn’t work. The pop is still about the same.
Starting the amp at lower voltage and gradually increase the voltage solve the start up "Pop" for me.
Old 12th October 2005, 04:53 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nuuk

This time delay kit looks like a possibility. It appears that the output relay can be configured to turn on after a preset delay and stay on as long as power is applied. So, un-mute the Charlize after say 5 seconds after power is applied.

http://www.electronics123.com/s.nl/s...it.A/id.386/.f
Old 12th October 2005, 05:12 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
This time delay kit looks like a possibility.
The circuit that I posted earlier in this thread should work well too!

Quote:
PSU with selected output is very cheap in Hong Kong.
Yes, I've been there Andy and nearly everything is cheap compared to over here!

But what sort of quality PSU iis it? The supply that I tried first has selectable voltages but the sound quality is nowhere near as good as when using the SMPS!

Hide this!Advertise here!