UK Power Supply for T Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi folks,

Just bought an AudioDigit T Amp from AudioContruire.IT. Sounds really sweet and I am totally happy with it but distorts/clips when pushed to highish volume levels in my large room. At the moment I am powering it from a 12v 500mA wall wart.

The AudioConstruire website recommends a Linear Power Supply 12v between 3-5A. Will this let me play louder? If not what will the sonic differences likely be?

Can someone please tell me where I can source a reasonably priced Power supply of this spec in the UK?

Well Joe, at the risk of being accused of trying to sell you something, I can honestly recommend the SMPS modules that I am using with various class-T amps. ;)

Details here

Do keep in mind though that if you have inefficient or hard to drive loudspeakers, these small class-T amps may not be up to the job of playing loud in your large room. :att'n:

sorry to jump onboard here. But are 2 of these necessary to power a DAC or Tripath based amp? And do you only sell them in pairs?

You only need one if you want a 12 volt supply for something like a DAC or class-T amplifier.

I sell them in pairs as I make very little for selling these and quite frankly, it's not worth the bother of packing them up, printing labels etc, accepting money and passing it on again, and worst of all the looooooooong wait in the queue at the post office if I only sell one! ;)

joesan said:
t,

what DACs do you rate?

Well my main dac is Pedja Rogics diy NOS TDA1541 with Reclocker,double crown etc,

The other one I have is a diy NOS TDA1543 with Reclocker, passive output stage

I tried the SMPS with the TDA1543, obviously you need onboard regs to lower the 12v down to the needed voltages for the TDA1543,CS8412 and Reclocker but it still works very well

I've tried other diy types but the above two are my favourite:)

Late revival of this old thread - I've been busy.

T - thanks for your DAC info. I'm (surprisingly) actually quite happy with the DACs in my Behringer DEQ2496. I was intending a DAC upgrade to be the next step. I guess that they are better because they are so much newer than the old Dac in my old CD players and the technology has advanced a great deal in the last 5 years or so. So for the moment I am sticking with them.

Nuuk - Just a quick word of thanks - the SMPS power supply you sold me really helps the sound of the T-amp out. Much more powerful and more headroom. Great recommendation from you and I will definitely buy from you again.

For anyone out there with the Audio Digit T amp I can recommend the SMPS route. My unit is total silent until the music comes through (powerfully!).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.