T-Amp hiss/crackle in channel - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th October 2005, 04:51 AM   #1
nehpets is offline nehpets  United States
diyAudio Member

Default T-Amp hiss/crackle in channel

well, im obviously new here. but this seems to be the best place to ask questions about the t-amp.

i just ordered myself one and it came in the mail yesterday. i played it for maybe 10 mins then. today i played on it for an hour or less and i noticed a crackle/hiss in the left channel. its always when the song hits alot of treble to. the mids aren't affected.

im running off of a Wall Wart(12V, 1A) and my speakers are from my stereo(sony, 6 ohm)

i know its the left channel and not my speaker because i've switched them around and its always the one plugged into the left channel, a very annoying hiss/crackle.

help please. i would very much like to enjoy the same thing that everyone else has enjoyed with this little amp. but my first experiences with it have been crappy.
Old 6th October 2005, 02:58 PM   #2
Livino is offline Livino  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Hi, I'm facing a similar problem with my T-Amp.

In my case I'm pretty sure both channels hiss, and there's also a noticeable "humm" in the middle third of the volume scale. It disappears below 1/3 and above 2/3s volume. But the hiss stays, and it's specially loud from the tweeters (as expected).

I'm blaming it on my power supply - it's a 12V 2A switch mode thing that looks like a Nokia mobile phone charger. It plugs into the wall, so I'm guessing it's a "wallwart" too (though I'm not familiar with the term).

Are you using a switched or linear PSU? You can tell by the wheight of the thing.

I've been searching for a definitive answer to the "correct power supply for a T-Amp" question. So far, unsuccessfully. Some folks swear by SMPS, others say linear is the way to go. It seems that switched mode supplies tend to add a fair bit of noise that is combined with the amp's own noise (since it's sort of a switched mode PS for the speakers after all).

The hummmmmmm that only appears within a certain volume range seems to be a different challenge altogether. I'll try yet another linear supply later today or early tomorrow and will report back here.

Also, there seems to be a noise problem with some T-Amp units. Maybe you should look into that too.

Keep us posted, we want our T-Amps to rock!

Cheers,
Livino
Old 6th October 2005, 05:47 PM   #3
nehpets is offline nehpets  United States
diyAudio Member

thanks man !

as far as the power supply goes. im not to keen on all the different kinds. all i know is its your basic AC to DC supply, like the ones you see for almost any electronic appliance around the house.

i have a friend who's a major audiophile and i will let him check it out. hopefully he can help me also(and you to)

but thank you for keeping me posted on this ! i hope we can figure out this problem
Old 6th October 2005, 08:31 PM   #4
Nuuk is offline Nuuk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Nehpets - Are you certain that the problem isn't elsewhere in your system? I made some mods to a class-T amp this week and when I powered it up again, I had a hiss. I spent a few hours checking over the amp, only to find out that it was a bad connection from my DAC!

Quote:
I've been searching for a definitive answer to the "correct power supply for a T-Amp"
Livino - Don't waste your time looking for definitive answers on these forums. But take my word for it, SMPS is the way to go.
Old 7th October 2005, 06:26 AM   #5
jwb009 is offline jwb009  United States
diyAudio Member

I'd just like to reply that I'm also experiencing these problems with my t-amp hooked up to my computers psu. I'm thinkin about getting an SLA to see if it helps things out. I hope we can get a definitive answer to what makes and models of power supplies people are using with good results.
Old 7th October 2005, 12:55 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I found a company in my city that specializes in custom-made power supplies. I've ordered a 13V 1.25A linear PS from them which I'm picking up today.

Custom-made stuff is kind of expensive as you can imagine, so cost ruled out a 2A supply. The 1.25A box is plenty expensive already at about $55 - $15 more than what the T-Amp cost me with postage to Brazil included...

Anyway I'll post my impressions later today.
Old 7th October 2005, 05:28 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default UPDATE

Ok, I just got the new custom-made supply. I didn't have that much time to test it during my lunch break, but at least it didn't hum or hiss or anything. Good sign...

Well, there is a very, very faint hiss from the tweeters if I crank the volume up all the way. The hum in the middle 1/3rd of the volume scale was initially there but disappeared completely after I accidentally switched the power supply off and on again a couple of times (the connector was a bit loose, it's fixed now).

I nicked a 12V 1.25A switch-mode PS from my brother's Cannon scanner to compare sound quality later today. Good thing that they have identical output specs, too bad I didn't notice the Canon PSU earlier or I might have saved the money spend on the Nokia-looking thingy. But the linear PSU is looking promising!

I'll keep you guys posted on my testing, but so far the linear box is a clear winner.
Old 7th October 2005, 07:32 PM   #8
joesan is offline joesan  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Nuuk - interesting that you are recommending a SMPS. I started another thread trying to get some guidance on the right kind of psu to use with the AudioDigit t2020-m. So far plenty of views but no answers!

Anyway as I say interesting that you are saying SMPS, the autocontruire site says get a linear 11-13.5v 3-5A. Do you know anywhere one could source a readymade SMPS version with those specs in the UK?

Judging by appearances your a man that knows what he's talking about on these forums (but you know what they say about judging by appearances...
Old 7th October 2005, 07:44 PM   #9
Nuuk is offline Nuuk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Judging by appearances your a man that knows what he's talking about on these forums (but you know what they say about judging by appearances...
Yes, be warned, I know very little!

I tried a wallwart, a home-built regulated linear supply, SLA battery, and one of those SMPS modules and I can honestly say that the SMPS was clearly the best sounding supply. If Leo is watching this thread, he will confirm what I say.

Quote:
Do you know anywhere one could source a readymade SMPS version with those specs in the UK?
The ones on DD are ready built. All you have to do is wire them up and add a loading resistor to the 5 volt output. You can buy similar modules all over the place (for a lot more) but I don't know of any completely finished examples (ie with cases, switches and sockets).

I hope to be able to offer a finished version of the SMPS in a rather smart casing in the not too distant future!
Old 7th October 2005, 08:25 PM   #10
t. is offline t.  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I've tried a few different diy PSU's, regulators etc for my Amp3
I also used 12v 7aH batteries with and without 10k caps on the output.
NUUKs SMPS was the last I tried and to be honest it easily gave the best results
Fit a good 10'000uf cap on the output the music just sounds more right
I've had very good results with the SMPS powering other parts of my Hi-Fi too

Hide this!Advertise here!