How to correctly connect 24vdc battery power to Teac A-L700P??? HELP!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there,

I am wanting to use just a single amplifier board from the Teac Al-700p 3-channel amplifier to power my front L/R speakers.

I do not want to use the power supply.

I decided to go with 2 12vdc SLA AGM batteries connected in series for 24vdc or so for the amplifier chip and also feed it into the +5vdc regulator i have mounted locally for the controller chip.

I do not want to use the main board that the amplifier board plug into.

I want to ditch everything but the single 2ch amp board and install that into a custom chassis.

I have hardwired signal input from a high quality stereo attenutator to (2) 2.2uf high quality coupling caps (too big, off the circuit board) and direct feed into each channel of the input where the stock caps used to be.

I use a +5vdc voltage regulator (fed from the 24vdc battery power) to power the +5vdc section for the logic chip.

I have eliminated BOTH relays on the amp board with jumpers for better signal integrity and sound quality.

(I also want to improve the output chokes...but that later on down the road)

Issue:
When doing all the above, Nothing happened. No Sound.

I looked on the Tripath Eval. datsheet and see that the MUTE pin needs to be grounded for the mure function to be turned off.

I wire a jumper over from the mute pin to D gnd.

The amp POPS very loud on turn on.

I get distorted music and I have to crank the Attentautors almost all the way up for any sound.
There is no music, unless I crank the attenuator all the way up and it is distorted sound.

The bottom tripath chip runs VERY VERY WARM.

Then turn off tried it again and POP the bottom triapth chip Blows up.

I have one good board left.

Can someone please tell me what to do and what I did wrong???

Do I need some turn on signal or something, Am I missing something here or such. I do not understand.

If someone has successfully gotten the Teac amp board to work properly off of 2 12vdc SLA batteries in series for 24vdc and a +5vdc volt. regulator please let me know

Thanks in advance!!!!

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Voltage

Not familiar with the chipset, but if it is a Tripath TA2024 or TA2020, you have way too many volts, as they are to be no more than 16 Volts MAX MAX before catastrophic failure...

Beefing up the Amps (to an extent) of OK, but the Volts cannot be exceeded.

Just my 2 cents

Use all Hypex parts in a UcD stereo amp?

I want to build a UcD400 stereo amp. I am not an electronics designer, but have soldering and mechanical skills. Much of the gory details you guys discuss here is not my forte, but I am learning more each day.

Instead of learning all that stuff cold before I even begin building, I am thinking about buying all the pre made components from Hypex. Seems to me they will have tested it all together and it should make the amps perform just fine. I will be running these amps with Legacy Focus 20/20 speakers which are low impedence, with 3x12" woofs, 2x7" mids, +dome and ribbon tweets. They love power, up to 500wpc. They are 95dB sensitive and play very loudly with a 50wpc stereo tube amp. I listen at moderate levels, never beyond realistic levels.

I will probably use similar pre-built components in a DIY preamp, probably DACT CT-101/CT-2 for starters, powering CT-101 with the Hypex power supply HG which has 12V out.

Some questions I have are :

Hypex sells a single 500VA toroid trannie that can power both UcD400 amps (stereo). If you think this is a little low for the demands of my speakers, can I replace that with a single Plitron 750VA, 2x45 transformer as suggested by Adire? Would you use about mono power supplies? Is it worth the price for the sonic improvement?

The Hypex UcD supply HG primary caps have 20,000uF per rail, again is this enough for twin UcD400s to run off one power supply? Is this supply clean enough to power a preamp?

What does the AD8260 buffer on the AD version actually do? Why would I want that option on my UcD400s.

Can I put the DACT preamp inside the chassis with the UcDs, or will radiation affect it?

Saved my biggest question for last. Can I plug these components together and hear beautiful music, or will I stumble onto a problems that will hose me up to frustration? Any schematics you know of that show using single trans/power suplly with 2 amps?

I am thrilled to find an active forum about the Hypex amps. I am soooo excited to build my own amp instead of buying something used and not so great sounding.
Thanks for your advice.
Rich

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.