SI´s Son of T-Amp reviewed in 6moons

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
New SI

What in the world is with all that extra filtering? 4X as many poor output inductors, no wonder they thought the first one was easier to listen to. Still in all a nice new addition to their product line and sure to be a success. I will look forward to hotrodding one! Some fun times ahead.
Roger

I think part of their success with the SI amps is their use of ultra-high efficiency speakers. The AvanteGardes, Zus, and Cain & Cains certainly don't tax the amp very much.

The little speakers I'm listening to now are sensitive maybe to the mid/upper eighties, so while I think the original SI sounds pretty good, I don't think I was able to coax the best out of them. I think most folks playing with the SI T-amp are dealing with a similar amp/speaker interface.

While unquestionably a great deal, the SI T-amp fools you into thinking you can set up an ultra-killer system for cheap when, in fact, you have to splurge somewhat on the speaker side to get the most out of them.

I'm even more intgrigued by the spin-off T-amps that arose after the success of the SI: the amp3, Audioconstruire, Charlize, and such. By all accounts these sound better than even a highly modified SI. I'll be eagerly awaiting Nuuk's comparison of these DIY offerings.

Best,
KT

Andrew,
are you planning to use them with just a pot in-between?
I am using Monica and Amp3 with just a 50K pot inbetween and was wondering if using a lower pot value 10/20K will improve the sound.
My other problem is that Monica gives whispering output so that most of the time I have to open the pot at full to get decent volume, so that if I want to get loud, not real loud, I cannot. The solution is a preamp in between I guess.

Mr Dodo, your findings with Monica concur with mine. I don't know what feedback resistors you have in AMP3 but even when I increased them to 51K in another class-T amp, the output is still a bit low.

DiyParadise are aware that this is a problem with some systems and are working on a matching pre-amp. :att'n:

Don't go below 20K for your pot/attenuator. Monica, like DacKit prefers to work into somewhere around a 20K load. I used a 25K stepped attenuator.

Andrew, I'll look forward to reading your commments on Charlize and Monica. That's if you can still hear properly at your age! :D

Mr Dodo, may I call you bird?:D

I am an active kind of man, I use a scratch built VSE FVP5A as my pre and I like it so much I have no burning desire to replace it.
I have tried 3 I think different passives and I miss the "jump" factor of the active.

That's if you can still hear properly at your age!

Nuuk, whats that, I can't hear you, speak up young man:)

Andrew

Andrew, Mr bee, you can call me bird, may I call you.... no!
I don't really mind... as long as you don't call me bird names! :)
Yes, the passive-pre (oxymoron, as I've learned from another thread) was part of the KISS principle.
But I am wanting to use active pre, once I lay my hand on one that is.

I did email and receive a reply from Sonic Impact

apparently 2500+ units presold...

I haven't decided what I'm gonna do, but the 41 Hz kits and others I think may appear to be a better value, and add some good connectors , better volume pot, maybe a toggle input selector and inductors for the same $$$, especially if you need the extra ooomph of say 30 watts or so...

I've bought a couple of 1.7 amp 12 volt unregulated power supplies and have a couple of aluminum car audio amp cases. Add an accessory speaker box (for multi room speakers) and I'll get the toggle, some decent output jacks and a transformer ta keep it all safe.. Hmm. So maybe no led indicator, but knobs are easy to get...

I m not sure I would spend the $$ to get the new amp, but it is very appealing, and as mods to the original occurred, so too will they occur for the SoT.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.