6 channel class-d amp for car, need guidance...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Im usually around the chip amps forum, but ive decided to come to you guys for this project.

i need efficiency for my amp, so class-d is really attractive. now i would like some basic guidance. i have experience with chip amps, and im wondering if a class-d amp is just as easy to build? (im really hoping)

this amp of course will have to run off a +12V battery. right now im thinking switching power supply to provide enough voltage, but they are next to impossible to build and hard to source. any ideas for powering a 6 channel class-d?

oh as for power requirements, i want a quality 25+ watts per channel. but that number is not set in stone.

are there any kits out there suited for me. i dont wanna spend huge amounts, budget for total amp is in the couple of hundreds max.

thanks guys.

Hi,

There's a few chip solutions you can look into, you're not going to find a ready made kit, unless maybe you look at the stuff from 41hz.com, however, anything and everything is going to come up to alot more than a few hundred for a six channel amp, I don't think you could do it for a two channel amp at that price. It's just unrealistic to even consider it for that little.

Also, building your own instead of getting a kit is very tricky and will cost even more.

Cheers,
Chris

thanks for the reply. i am seeing that class d is not nearly as economical as good old gainclones...

the amp3 from 41hz.com looks very interesting. its designed to run off a car battery which eliminates my power supply woes. but the power is quite low.

are these amps bridgeable for more power?

DJNUBZ said:
Your main problem is designing a smps to run off of 12V. IF you know how to design a smps then you can just plug in a premade class D amp design.

yes you are right. even with the efficiency of class D, i dont think i could get the power overhead i want without an SMPS.

i was looking around, and ive found some for sale. but i dont know how they sound or if they are even appropriate for audio.

What do you suggest is the best path for getting a working SMPS? are there any DIY kits or solutions out there? can i find a chip and just follow the datasheet?

smps is dammn simple to construct.i have built one using guidlines from
ROD ELLIOT'S site on the topic car smps.go through it and follow instruction by instruction and believe me that in one shot the smps will be done.whats more u have flexibility of having customised voltage by rewinding the transformer which can b done in 15min flat!
the topology of smps is exactly like inverter albiet the difference is in switching freq. and a bit of differece in transformer construction.

i m using smps to power up some local 100w amps to power subs in my car(distortion no concern bec low freq).

i built it in 4 parts on vero boards and interconnected them.mine looks visually bad but is technically good.any way its in a nice metal box in my car and is giving great service.

yeah u do need to have oscilloscope or access to one.i m engg student but still i didnt use oscilloscope in my college!its bec the pwm sg3524 is v.easy to make.i made it ,cal. the freq it will generate from the formula in sg3524's datasheet,and used a multimeter to see the output voltage jus to observe if the circuit is working or not.
i then joined all modules together n voilla.it was up n running.

no need to be scared.go for it as its the best bet to have a good amp runnin in the car

i said,i have access to oscilloscope in my college lab but the const. of pwm sg2524 is so simple that i didnt feel ny need to use any oscilloscope.i constructed it WITHOUT oscilloscope.
i was saying that its still advisable to use oscilloscope to see if the req. freq. and duty cycle is o/p from sg3524 pwm bec if the o/p is imperfect u may blow off whole of circuit.
i did without oscilloscope,using multim and formula.u can do it also like this.but mind u!!!! solder the pwm ckt very very carefully lest noise will enter and all goes:hot:

my advice
don be scared,build pwm ckt and set its freq. 15khz(by selecting Rt and Ct appropriately),use winscope,a free software to simulate oscilloscope on pc,see if good o/p coming from pwm,change Rt and Ct after testing to get ultrasonic freq req for smps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.