DC wallwart recommended for Si t-amp? risks?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all, new to the class D world here, I like everything i've been reading so far. I also have some questions that were left unanswered even after a few days of searching.

I purchased and received two T-amps recently. Will likely buy two more later on to mod and tweak, but for now i want to keep things real simple.

In light of keeping things simple, i'd like to run my two T-amps with two DC wallwarts; 12vdc, 2amps, center positive tip. For now they'll both power two spare cerwin vega E-78 8" bookshelf speakers (which i'll modify or replace at a later date as well). Now the questions:

- Am i helping or hurting anything by going with that particular DC wallwart? (any risks associated with DC wallwarts combined with t-amps in general?)
- am i better off with a 13v or a 13.5 DC wallwart @ 1.5a (1500mah)
- Like i said, i'm keeping this first setup real simple, but i will tear apart the next two ;).

Thanks in advance

- Steve

PS: I found a couple of dealers on ebay that have high powered DC wallwarts for very fair prices. If anybody's interested, let me know and i'll post their linkage here. It took an aweful lot of searching to find them, and at a fair price to boot.

Dont bother with a wallwart unless you have too. Unless regulated, they provide the poorest sound and arent a good investment if you plan on upgrading your boards/parts. A cheap regulated supply such as the Tripplite, available at Mouser, it a better solution. Similar supplies can be found even cheap if you search around.

http://www.tripplite.com/products/product.cfm?productID=232

amt

Ahh, i suspected there was a catch, i did read similar info somewhere.....

One thing i did notice, there are DC wallwarts that claim to be "regulated" as opposed to "switching" (or not stating specifically at all). Do you think a regulated DC wallwart would be better? I sure hope so :D

Edit: here's a link to the wallwart i was looking at , does "in-line" mean anything good or bad?

If not how would you recommend i hook up a tripplite type powersupply ? I'm looking for the easiest way possible for now, though i will open up the t-amp if i "really" have to. Can I splice and rig cables utilizing their "center positive" tip? I found the tripplite's btw, prices are very fair for 5amp units.

Your help, and anyone else's is really appreciated. It's not easy finding this info, and i'm trying to avoid frying my t-amps if i can :).

Edit: Oh yea, i also heard that the emergency jump starter's found in department stores work well. They go for around 30ish but i'm not so sure they're easy to rig up and use.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.