coding your own PCM to PWM converter?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I've started experimenting with the Freescale 56F8300DSK DSP developer starter kit (small 56F8323 DSP, 60 MIPS) and "generic" <600kHz 500Wrms half-bridge modules that I made.

Easily doing some very trivial 8kHz PCM to PWM@400kHz on the DSP got me curious if anyone here has done experiments with their own PCM to PWM converter?

12-bit ADC peripheral output data, LP filtered, output to 16-bit PWM peripheral did sound acceptable but not that good (partly bad ADC, partly 16bit PWM).

Maybe you could recommend some nice algorithm? :)

There are a zillions of different PCM2PWM papers, like
http://www.imec.be/esscirc/esscirc2001/Proceedings/data/62.pdf
but do you have a particular favorite? One that would be light-weight and could run on 60MIPS for subwoofer e.g. 8kHz sampling freq? (I know DSP only from Matlab and F2812, and there lowish MIPS isn't a problem... that's the reason i ask...)

Oh and another one: could someone kindly reveal the patent number and ptoffice for the EquiBit algorithm? I couldn't locate it in uspto search (Texas, equibit, pcm, pwm, ..., nada :confused: )

- Jan

I think the conversion a such is just a noise-shaping loop converting low-rate high resolution data into high-rate low resolution, followed by acounter that converts this noise-shaped PCM into PWM. But there might also be some additional proprietary functions implemented that deal with the non-idealities of the switching devices etc.

Regards

Charles

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.