Tripath AMP1-B noise disappears after 5 minutes problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, wrote this somewhere else. After 5 minutes my hissing noise diappears and becomes an ultra low level high tone(4kc).
The electronic transf. uses a 40kc cycle rectified by schottky diodes.
When I measure on the plug on the amp1b pcb on the + and- supply line i see a 3mc disturbance in the noise at about 200mv.
If I put 2 off 470uf FC Panasonic caps on the supply lines at the plug my amp becomes very silent. Not completely but on high efficiency boxes there is a kind of whistle left. Would never have found this without a scope. When you put the probe on the psu pcb the lines are very clean but the wire from psu pcb to amp1b pcb is an inductance so 3mc is easy to be there. It also shows the caps delivered with the amp are bad ones. Will change them for FC's and test again.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hi Bgt, this was stolen from the 41.hz forums.......

words of Jan Fredriksson:
"I am very happy with the ones I have built except
there was a weak, hardly audiable, but slightly annoying
tone from all of them. I found that the 100uF cap used to
filter the internal 10V generator is not good enough
or big enough. Replacing it with a better or slightly
bigger cap solved the problem."

That would be the 100uf 35v C34 hes speaking of. I wonder if 1000uf would be overkill. I have some Panasonic FC 1000uf 16v caps I would like to try. I know the original is a 35v cap, but I don't see the problem of using a 16v cap instead.

The "tone" from my AMP1-B's isn't half as loud as the hiss. I'm going to try lowering the modulator gain and see if it helps the hiss issue any. I already know its set way to high for my rail voltage, but I'm not sure if thats a real issue for anything but clipping.

theAnonymous1 said:
Hi Bgt, this was stolen from the 41.hz forums.......

That would be the 100uf 35v C34 hes speaking of. I wonder if 1000uf would be overkill. I have some Panasonic FC 1000uf 16v caps I would like to try. I know the original is a 35v cap, but I don't see the problem of using a 16v cap instead.

The "tone" from my AMP1-B's isn't half as loud as the hiss. I'm going to try lowering the modulator gain and see if it helps the hiss issue any. I already know its set way to high for my rail voltage, but I'm not sure if thats a real issue for anything but clipping.

Ok, cured it. Put a 1000uf/25V FC capicitor there and the whistle is gone. Cured the hiss with a 10uF MKT cap. on the PSU + and 0V where the power lines enter the PCB. It is now very quiet. Earthing remained the same...no humm.

Now for a test I exchanged the Amp1B for a stereo UCD180AD system and switched it on. I think I have to sit in the speaker to hear a tiny bit of hiss. Remarkable.

Tried this all out with a very efficient dual paper cone speaker from the 80's.

I am happy how it is now. Now snubberizing it a bit.

Thanx for the tip:D

I'm using SMPS
Mine is also a kind of switched supply. I have to use schottky's because of the 40kc where the 50Hz sinus is made off. Tried it with normal bridge rectifiers, well forget it. The nice thing of this PSU is the low crest factor, the mains input is rectified and than smoothened(how do you write this?) with some 0,5uF MKT caps. It has hardly any input current.

Well, I got rid of the "tone" with a 1000uf cap as did you Bgt, but I can't get rid of the hiss. Lowering the modulator gain had no effect. I tried bypassing the the power coming into the board with every kind and size of cap I have available to me and it made no difference.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.