How to build a very simple class D amplifier!!!For a newbie.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A simple discrete component design was produced by Sinclair in the sixties and by Douglas Self in the nineties. (Others were also published between these times in various mags, as was the theory).

The Self design was published in Electronics and Wireless World (or possibly under one of its later names), which may still be available from libraries. Alternatively try his web site. However neither this nor others of the same type are serious designs for home use, are not Hi-Fi, and only good to experiment. Be warned that they produce very high levels of radio interference that will cause problems to other users of the RF spectrum.

Like Nuuk, I say forget building one, they are not worth the trouble, (and may get you into trouble with the law), but the Self article is interesting to read.

If you want a working amplifier, buy a kit. They are cheap enough.

Hi,

Your best bet for a ready made DIY type of kit would be the reference design from IR, something like this one
http://www.irf.com/technical-info/refdesigns/iraudamp1.pdf
but their might be an updated version.

The link Pierre gave is a good one for basic info however if you really want to learn basically read everything about it that you can find.

If you have plans to use this for any kind of a final project .... wouldnt' you need to come up with your own design, featuring some noteworthy improvements of some sort? I guess you would know.. might want to ask your teacher though. I somehow doubt you're going to learn all you need to learn in the amount of time required to make a reasonable term project of one though, and trying could lead to a failed term project, or just one that doesn't work. If you look online I _know_ you're going to find a few class d term projects that couldn't be made to work on anything other than a simulator.

Unlike the others I think class d can be done DIY and is very worthwhile. Start off making one work with a 555 and a single output MOSFET transistor and take it from there. Sorry there's no schematics for that one either but it's all about the learning if you're going to DIY.

The key is simply keeping your expectations reasonable, you're _not_ going to easily DIY a thousand watt amp. I'd think if you make one work at lower power it would sound alot better than the equivalent DIY job of another class type amplifier, and have been listening to mine as my main amplifier for months now, with the alternative being a set of ""100watt"" computer speakers, so it's not like I dont' have an option. BTW that above statement wasn't to fuel another class type war, I say that thinking the OP is probably like me and doesn't have a scope or a spectrum analyser to tweak anything with.

I'd imagine with some basic equipment the DIYer could push things much further than I have thus far, without having any.

I haven't seen Doug Self's class d design, it wasn't included in his book. He did mention them and said "they aren't there yet" and I believe he felt class G was were the potential layed and went on to develope some of those.

Do you have a link to this class d design of his? I'd be interested in reading about it, it has never come up in one of my searches.

Thanks,
Chris

thomgun_lc said:
:smash: I'm interested with class D amp, but when i see the schematic of class D amp, it's very complicated than chip amp or mosfet amp. Does anyone have a very simple schematic dor class D amp?
For beginner, we should start from simple schematic. :bigeyes:

I got two nice pcb for lm4652/51 chips from Tlmadson,for a very good price. You should let him know if you are interested. With the two boards,I will make two amp for under $100 each.

thomgun_lc said:
:( So, this amp is not like Gainclone which i build. If it possible to build for a newbie, maybe i can use this digital amplifier as my final project:dodgy:
I think digital amp using a couple IC as a driver and the final stage amp.
So, this digital amp is not for newbie project?:bawling:

If you're prepared to do a gainclone, then one of the newer through-hole Tripath kits from Jan at 41hz.com should be ok for you. As with a GC, you'll need power supply and metal case, but it looks like the newer kits will be a good fit for those who have less experience with the soldering iron.

I've built 3 Amp3s, which use extensive smt devices. My only serious error was applying reverse voltage *after* completing and testing my first pcb. Even that huge mistake was repaired (replaced an inductor and tripath chip). Other mistakes have been minor (one solder joint missed, and one bad joint).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.