Zap Pulse or UcD - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th August 2005, 11:42 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Zap Pulse or UcD

I want to build a five channel amp any opinions on whether i should go with the zappulse 2.3se or the ucd 400 the lc audio stuff seems geared towards noobs like me a little more. Thoughts, Comments, Suggestions all appreciated
Cheers,Carlos
Old 28th August 2005, 11:33 AM   #2
Raoul is offline Raoul  United States
diyAudio Member

There is an extensive discussion about this here:

UCD400 or ZAPPulse?

L C Audio documents a lot of the application of their modules on their website, but a lot of information about the application of the UcD modules can be found here and with a bit of navigation on the hypex.nl site. Try searching around the forum a bit. It may require a little (a lot) of reading, but there are quite a few discussions comparing/ contrasting the sound quality and application of the two modules on the forum.

Hope this helps...
Old 29th August 2005, 04:30 AM   #3
ghemink is offline ghemink  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Zap Pulse or UcD

Quote:
Originally posted by carlos spud
I want to build a five channel amp any opinions on whether i should go with the zappulse 2.3se or the ucd 400 the lc audio stuff seems geared towards noobs like me a little more. Thoughts, Comments, Suggestions all appreciated
Cheers,Carlos

I would advise UcD, they now have almost everything put together with their softstart units coming out soon. You can use their softstart, they sell transformers as well, they have two supplies to choose from (high grade and standard) and the supplies provide DC protection (when one of the amps produces DC at the ouput, the supply shuts of). Everthing has nice connectors so putting it all together should be quite easy with only minimal soldering.

By the way, if you decide for ZAPpulse, I would advise the low noise version as in some applications, the normal version is too noisy, at least for me the old 2.2SE was too noisy when driving tweeters directly. UcD is super silent, just amazing. The low noise ZAP has a lower input impedance so you need to check whether your preamp can live with that.

Best regards

Gertjan
Old 29th August 2005, 07:02 AM   #4
Account Disabled

Send a message via AIM to classd4sure Send a message via MSN to classd4sure
Oh no please no not another one of these "which is best" threads. We've already had our class Vs class discussion so I guess it brought us full circle back to Zap Vs UCD again.

Best is you do some research before posting you would have seen a tonne of these already and why more of the same is bound to get few replies.

Anyway, do you want to build someone else's dream amp or your own?

I think it's a bit of a mistake saying any of these are geared towards noobs? Anyone who got one of these to sound good.... I'd think..... more than likely put in alot of reading and effort, they may be close to it but not exactly plug and play yet.

Regards,
Chris
Old 30th August 2005, 06:36 PM   #5
Banned

Glad you saved me the bother of saying it. Getting to be just like the "75 ohm RCA" threads; they refuse to die.

OTOH......he didn't start another "which chimpamp is best?" thread.

Jocko
Old 30th August 2005, 07:30 PM   #6
t. is offline t.  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Yes, these threads do end up in arguments
It would be nice though to read somebody's results who has compared something like a UCD based amp against a well known commercial or diy classA or AB amp

I'm still tempted to try out a pair of UCD400's , all I want is to build something that sounds better than what I currently have rather than something else that will just add to my collection of tried and now not used stuff
Old 31st August 2005, 01:50 PM   #7
ghemink is offline ghemink  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by t.
Yes, these threads do end up in arguments
It would be nice though to read somebody's results who has compared something like a UCD based amp against a well known commercial or diy classA or AB amp

I'm still tempted to try out a pair of UCD400's , all I want is to build something that sounds better than what I currently have rather than something else that will just add to my collection of tried and now not used stuff

Some people have reported comparisons. I compared a slightly modded UcD180 with my Accuphase E407, the UcD180 won easily. UcD has a very open and dynamic sound, completely free from distortion, very good imaging and extremely low noise level.

If you have never tried Class-D, give it a try and I'm quite sure you will be happily surprised.

Best regards

Gertjan
Old 31st August 2005, 02:36 PM   #8
Pasi P is offline Pasi P  Finland
diyAudio Member

Gertjan,

I have forgot what kind of UCD setup you have (mods, ps, etc.)?
Any pictures?
Old 31st August 2005, 04:15 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default not trying to start ww3

Thank you Raoul and ghemink for the helpful responses for the others:
you know its pretty sad when people cant understand when someone is asking for a simple comparison , I am not trying to start a conflict i simply wanted to know if anyone had any reviews or had built both and had comments................
as far as doing research b4 i post well EXCUSE me I am human and we are prone to making mistakes, I read on the subject of DIY speakers and amps on average about 4-5 hours a day pardon me for thinking there would be some people here who could maybe answer a few questions
Jocko Homo,classd4sure: if my posts are so offensively noobish i would invite you not to reply as you have not contributed anything to the question i originally asked, the first reply i received more than answered my question so i fail to see what your posts accomplished other than to say "man this guy is a noob"
Cheers, Guy who should search b4 he posts
Old 31st August 2005, 05:02 PM   #10
Banned

"Thoughts, Comments, Suggestions all appreciated"

Here is one:

The search function probably isn't the best around. I find it is easier to browse the thread list in any given forum. You could most likely find your answer there as easily as you could by pounding on the keyboard.

Jocko

Hide this!Advertise here!