Class T(ea) with AMP-3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th August 2005, 05:47 PM   #1
Nuuk is offline Nuuk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Class T(ea) with AMP-3

When using the 41Hz AMP-3 I get a strange whistling noise (like the sound of a kettle boiling) on at least one track of a CD. The CD in question is 'Natural Light' by Eric Bibb and the whistling is most obvious on track 1.

What is this and the whistling down to the amp, the CD, or both? I didn't notice it with the other class-T amps that I ahve here.
Old 13th August 2005, 06:10 PM   #2
t. is offline t.  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi NUUK

I sometimes get a high pitched whistle with my Amp3
It seems to be when I use either of my NOS dacs most noticeable if theres no cd in the transport or when I'm loading a disc, its only faint but there is a high pitched noise, I've also noticed a few strange whistling noises on HDCD recorded discs

Leo
Old 13th August 2005, 07:01 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Class T(ea) with AMP-3

Quote:
Originally posted by Nuuk
When using the 41Hz AMP-3 I get a strange whistling noise (like the sound of a kettle boiling) on at least one track of a CD. The CD in question is 'Natural Light' by Eric Bibb and the whistling is most obvious on track 1.

What is this and the whistling down to the amp, the CD, or both? I didn't notice it with the other class-T amps that I ahve here.
Hi,

I'm not sure if an experience I previously had could be signifiant here, but just in case. A guy at work have a Maranz reveiver and he had some problem with a particulra CD of Nora Jone. At some specific place of the songs, the amp was delivering a suspect noise. I can't tell you exactly how it sounded as I never visited this person. Anyway, he ask me to listen to the CD to see if the CD was bad and I had no such problem. So, he went to his Hi-Fi store and they finally found that the amp was not able to take the load during the "peak" of this CD. I suppose that the CD was recorded to hight as the music was very soft.

Maybe you have some similar problem with the amp3. You have to listen to many CD and see if it always happen and when it happen.

Regards,
Old 13th August 2005, 07:01 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I sometimes get a high pitched whistle with my Amp3
Hi Leo, I was just going to email you! OK, so I am not alone here!

Now we need to know if anybody else has experienced 'the whistle'!
Old 13th August 2005, 07:08 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nuuk

Hi Leo, I was just going to email you! OK, so I am not alone here!

Now we need to know if anybody else has experienced 'the whistle'!
Well I've mailed you anyway

The sound of the actual music seems fine and the whistle seems its nothing to do with the actual recording, its like that feeling you get when a tv is on if you know what I mean
Strange
Old 13th August 2005, 07:16 PM   #6
dnsey is offline dnsey  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Years ago, when I was contemplating buying my first CD player, almost all the players I heard demonstrated produced a sound similar to a TV line whistle.
None of the dealers I asked about it claimed to be able to hear it, but it was quite audible to me, and made the music almost unlistenable, and put me off CDs for some time. Eventually I decided I'd have to put up with it in order to listen to any newly released music.
These days I don't hear it any more, whether from a good or a bad player, so either I've become 'immune' to it or (more likely) my old ears don't go that high any more.
Old 13th August 2005, 07:24 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

But in my case, it is not continuous! It sounds exactly like my whistling kettle when it boils and I am upstairs with the hi-fi on.

And like I said only noticeable on two tracks of one CD (so far).
Old 13th August 2005, 07:37 PM   #8
Account Disabled

Send a message via AIM to classd4sure Send a message via MSN to classd4sure
I'm betting it also sounds like a cheap AM radio does when you're tuning stations on it.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=heterodyne

Those difference signals, are your whistle.

Distance and shielding between modules is a good help. Are your modules right next to each other? I don't even know if they're both built on the same PCB so forgive the ignorance.

Is there any kind of low pass on the inputs already?

You could also take measures to attempt to lower the modules EMI, I assume there's some sort of heatsink on it, is it bypassed to ground?

Regards
Old 13th August 2005, 07:38 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dnsey
Years ago, when I was contemplating buying my first CD player, almost all the players I heard demonstrated produced a sound similar to a TV line whistle.
None of the dealers I asked about it claimed to be able to hear it, but it was quite audible to me, and made the music almost unlistenable, and put me off CDs for some time. Eventually I decided I'd have to put up with it in order to listen to any newly released music.
These days I don't hear it any more, whether from a good or a bad player, so either I've become 'immune' to it or (more likely) my old ears don't go that high any more.
Well I've always had very good hearing
Mine is doing similar to NUUK though in that its only noticeable on a few cd's at certain parts of a track and normally if there is no cd in the transport
Old 13th August 2005, 07:44 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by classd4sure
I'm betting it also sounds like a cheap AM radio does when you're tuning stations on it.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=heterodyne

Those difference signals, are your whistle.

Distance and shielding between modules is a good help. Are your modules right next to each other? I don't even know if they're both built on the same PCB so forgive the ignorance.

Is there any kind of low pass on the inputs already?

You could also take measures to attempt to lower the modules EMI, I assume there's some sort of heatsink on it, is it bypassed to ground?

Regards
Thank you for the link
We both use an amp based on the TA2021 so its stereo on a single chip, my psu is in a seperate case.
There is a 100pf cap on the input and ground which I presume is used for the filtering.
It seems strange that its only mainly noticeable on some cd tracks

Hide this!Advertise here!