How to mod my Autocontruire TA2020? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th August 2005, 08:55 PM   #1
ac2005 is offline ac2005  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Default How to mod my Autocontruire TA2020?

I have recently bought the Autocontruire TA2020 module and DIY a int. amp. I power it by a SLA battery. It sings! However, it seems that the mid-range is not thick enough. I wonder if I can get better sound by replacing the input caps and power caps. Anybody have experience on it?

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 10th August 2005, 11:48 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Sorry I don't have a reply to your original questions, but I would love to know where you got that wonderful little enclosure.

Nice job, btw.
Old 11th August 2005, 03:46 AM   #3
Account Disabled

I would replace the power supply caps with Blackgates rated at 1000uf 16v. They are only 5 dollars a piece. You could try Sonicaps or Auricaps for the input caps. I find sonicaps better and cheaper. If you think the bass output is to your liking than use 2.2 uf otherwise use 3.3uf for the input caps. I hope this helps out.
Old 11th August 2005, 04:49 PM   #4
ac2005 is offline ac2005  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

theAnonymous1,

I got the case from a local shop in Hong Kong for about US$25. Seems it is not available on the internet. So you might be unable to get an identical one.

HolyGhostFire20.

Is it a good idea to reduce the value of the power supply caps from 2200uf to 1000uf? It seems that most people when modding their kits replace caps of smaller values to some of larger values. So is it better to replace the power caps with something like 3300uf or 4700uf?

I am very interested in Sonicaps. Could you tell me whether I can get it on the web?

Many thanks!
Old 11th August 2005, 05:18 PM   #5
Account Disabled

The sonicaps can be purchased at http://www.soniccraft.com/parts/capacitors.htm I don't know how much shipping costs will be worldwide. You could go higher on the uf value of the blackgate caps, but I find it isn't needed. The highest I would go for the blackgates is 2200uf. I hope this helps.
Old 11th August 2005, 11:18 PM   #6
Nuuk is offline Nuuk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I power it by a SLA battery. It sings! However, it seems that the mid-range is not thick enough.
Exactly my findings! Try an SMPS, you should be pleasently surprised!
Old 12th August 2005, 01:44 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nuuk

Exactly my findings! Try an SMPS, you should be pleasently surprised!
I'm happy that you posted this answer as I'll get my Autocostruire TA2020 next monday and really don't want the mid to be thin

I'll use a good SMPS. I can adjust it from 12 to 15 volt. What is the setting of your SMPS ? I wonder if setting it at 13V would be safe ? (13.5 V is supposed to be the max).

Regards,
Old 12th August 2005, 08:59 AM   #8
Nuuk is offline Nuuk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I'll use a good SMPS. I can adjust it from 12 to 15 volt. What is the setting of your SMPS ? I wonder if setting it at 13V would be safe ? (13.5 V is supposed to be the max).
I'm currently running the SMPS at 12.4 volts. I think that 13 would be fine but I'm not sure how much a volt matters in the context anyway! I guess it comes down to the rest of the system and how efficient the speakers are!
Old 12th August 2005, 03:23 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nuuk

I'm currently running the SMPS at 12.4 volts. I think that 13 would be fine but I'm not sure how much a volt matters in the context anyway! I guess it comes down to the rest of the system and how efficient the speakers are!
I'll play safe and set it to 12.5-12.8 volts, depending on how much this change affect the sound.

Thanks !
Old 12th August 2005, 03:41 PM   #10
plovati is offline plovati  Italy
diyAudio Member

It seems the Autocostuire.it version.
I never tried it, but I dislike the aircored inductor (the red cilinders). A try that is wort is to use ferrite core inductors (panasonic, Tayo Yuden etc) as suggest by Tripath.

Hide this!Advertise here!