diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Class D (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/)
-   -   New case for class D amps (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/62173-new-case-class-d-amps.html)

richardkrol 8th August 2005 11:14 AM

New case for class D amps

2 Attachment(s)
Hi Guys,

Don't know whether this is allowed but I thought I'd share it with the DIY community.

I am considering having an aluminium case manufactured made from 4mm aluminium. The case will have custom front and back plates which can be pre-drilled / routed for the connections.

The case will be either anodized or powdercoated.

I'd be interested in finding out whether there's an interest in such a case before proceeding with this.

Cost is unknown at this moment but is largely driven by quantity.

So basically let me know what you think.

Cheers

Richard

richardkrol 8th August 2005 11:17 AM

2 Attachment(s)
closeup

wytco0 8th August 2005 05:53 PM

richard, I would be interested in a couple of those.

I like black and as high a quality as possible !

Do you have just an approximate idea of cost?

jedel 8th August 2005 08:08 PM

what are dimensions we are talking about?

I'm looking for 430 mm wide (normal audio size) and a height of about 60-70 mm. (to fill with 2 UCD180's)

the other solutions out there are either to standard (rack mount) or to expencive (> 200E)

what is the prize range were thinking about?
<100 E would be great

richardkrol 8th August 2005 10:05 PM

The width of the case is 440, depth is 350. It's a very sleek design - trust me on this.

As for the height, I was thinking of offering the case in three dimensions: 50mm , 75mm and 120mm height. That is internal dimensions. That would suit a mono amp, a stereo amp and a multichannel amp.

I expect the case to be in the 150 - 200 Euro bracket. This is and will be a high end case. 4mm thick walls, top and bottom. Enough to hold the largest transformers.

Back panels will be available with either 2, 3, 5 or 7 speaker binding post holes with both singled ended and balanced inputs. It'll also accept a trigger input and output therefore catering for all connections.

Another option is to use one case for the PSU, in that case one back panel will feature a Neutrik industrial power connector i.e umbelical cord and the other one will feature an input.

All back panels will be custom manufactured. Investigating labelling as an option.

The inside of the case will have standard slots to fit Hypex and Zap modules straight onto the cooling fins. The fins will have exactly the same appearance as the case > not some kind of bolt-on profile...

Cheers

Richard

richardkrol 8th August 2005 10:18 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Height of 120 (internal) - 128 external

gengis 9th August 2005 01:26 AM

I like the case.

Any holes on the front panel for switch, led, etc?
If the price is around 100 or so, I will take two.

richardkrol 9th August 2005 07:24 AM

Holes on the frontpanel is not a problem.

The front and back plates can be swapped. It would also be very easy to use a bench drill and drill the holes yourselves.

100 is a price that cannot be achieved unless we are talking really big numbers here. As I mentioned, the price would be nearer the 150-200 bracket.

Cheers

Richard

Edit: Depending on interest I'll have this case manufactured. Again, cost is very much driven by quantity. There more people are interested - the higher the chances that I'll have this case made. Expect the initial costs to do this to be very high.

Cheers

Yves Smolders 9th August 2005 06:09 PM

Richard, very interesting, but the price bracket *is* a bit high, I'm afraid!

There's a case to be had, from the states, aluminum, 5mm front panel, with power connectors/xlr/cinch in/speaker terminals present, transport included, for about 170 dollars.

If you can lower the price after a while, count me in - I'd rather buy from a fellow Belgian :D

classd4sure 9th August 2005 06:11 PM

Hey Yves any chance you can save me some fishing and email me that link, wouldn't want to insult anyone by posting it here.

Thanks,
Chris