AMP-3 DC offset (high) - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th August 2005, 02:18 AM   #11
BWRX is offline BWRX  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

i had 3.2mV and 11.7mV on my working one (with no source connected) and 0mV on my non-working one one thing i do notice is that even though the dc offset is low and there is no noise coming from the speakers when no source is connected there is a lot of noise when a source (ipod, cd player, computer, etc.) is connected. do any of your AMP3's have the same issues with noise? it's much worse than compared to even a stock SI which has very little even with a source on the inputs. i don't think it's the source because the noise level is about the same with the three different sources i listed above.
Old 5th August 2005, 09:08 AM   #12
t. is offline t.  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sx881663

79 MV on one and 67 MV on the other, not great but passable.
Roger

Thanks Roger,

Seems yours is similar to mine
It makes me wonder though why the DC offsets are higher than normal
Old 5th August 2005, 09:13 AM   #13
t. is offline t.  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BWRX
i had 3.2mV and 11.7mV on my working one (with no source connected) and 0mV on my non-working one one thing i do notice is that even though the dc offset is low and there is no noise coming from the speakers when no source is connected there is a lot of noise when a source (ipod, cd player, computer, etc.) is connected. do any of your AMP3's have the same issues with noise? it's much worse than compared to even a stock SI which has very little even with a source on the inputs. i don't think it's the source because the noise level is about the same with the three different sources i listed above.
Mines silent when I plug in either of my diy dacs but there is a small bit of hiss If I plug in my dvd player but I think thats just noise on the dvds output.
Have you modded your Amp3 at all?
Old 5th August 2005, 02:06 PM   #14
BWRX is offline BWRX  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

nope, no mods. although i did use 0.6mm wire instead of the supplied 0.5mm wire for the toroids. that shouldn't make much of a difference though.
Old 5th August 2005, 08:56 PM   #15
Nuuk is offline Nuuk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I got brave today and connected the AMP-3 up to a test speaker. No problems with the 120 odd mV offset so I tested the other channel and then connected up my 'proper' speakers'.

After all the angst of not completing the kit first time (thanks again to Leo who 'sorted it') I am pleased to say that I like what I hear. But that's all your getting out of me at present!

Hide this!Advertise here!