UcD HG power supply sound quality?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all,

Has anybody tried the UcD HG power supply in combination with UcD400?

How did it sound?

I may consider to use them after my SMPS as the last decoupling stage close to the amps and have the benefit of DC protection and start circuit (needs to be modified when fed with an SMPS) all on one board.

What is the size of these boards?

What about the standard grade and replacing the caps? I guess the relay on the HG boards are better quality as well (higher current spec?).

Thanks and best regards

Gertjan

Yves Smolders said:
I ordered one and will be using them soon.

Should replace a normal block bridge rectifier and 2 22.000 63 caps (BC 056's)

The 056's are *much* larger than the 4 caps on the HG, but I'm sure it'll sound better, as they are slitfoils.

The 056 series has a high ESR on both the rect. freq=100Hz and 20khz so the slitfoils will always sound better. Why not use a low ESR cap. like the 154 series or even better the 114 series. They are big but that's how they sound also.
High ESR on 100 hz will want you to use a heavier transformer to compensate for the loss of 'oomph' at the low freq.
I have used the 056 series also but when I switched to the 154 series the amp.'s sonic qualities were amazing.
Was thinking of ordering some even better caps.=Mundorf Mlytic capacitor 22000uF/80V. ESR 5 mohm at 100hz.

Bgt said:

The 056 series has a high ESR on both the rect. freq=100Hz and 20khz so the slitfoils will always sound better. Why not use a low ESR cap. like the 154 series or even better the 114 series. They are big but that's how they sound also.
High ESR on 100 hz will want you to use a heavier transformer to compensate for the loss of 'oomph' at the low freq.
I have used the 056 series also but when I switched to the 154 series the amp.'s sonic qualities were amazing.
Was thinking of ordering some even better caps.=Mundorf Mlytic capacitor 22000uF/80V. ESR 5 mohm at 100hz.

If i have understand correct, Bruno has said many times that very low ESR caps_usually_does not sound good with UCD. Slit foils have quite high ESR also.

Well the 056's were cheap, and things still sound good, but they are going out. Wanted a nice solution with DC protection and smooth on/off switching of the modules, so in goes the HG supply. It's all waiting for a good enclosure. Last thing out will be the old transformer (normal block type about 300VA) to be replaced with an 800VA toroid.

I do wonder how the UcD will sound on the HG's though, maybe i'll give it a try soon.

If i have understand correct, Bruno has said many times that very low ESR caps_usually_does not sound good with UCD. Slit foils have quite high ESR also.

Differences in opinion will always be there. Luckily everyone is different. Would be a bourring world otherwise.
I assume if you have a really big toroid...than yes, the slit foils are maybe better.
I still say that a low ESR at 100Hz has a possitive effect on your bass reproduction if you have a smallish transformer for your amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.