Cheap headworn magnifier forSMD work.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Probably only of interest to people who have never soldered SMD components before (like me), but when I bought a couple of the Amp3 kits, I emailed Jan at www.41hz.com to let him know I had received them and mentioned that I would'nt try to build them until I had bought a desk magnifier. He sent me back a picture of a headband type magnifier and advised getting one of them instead, saying it was much easier to solder with. After a look on the usual sites I found a cheapo one with interchangeable lenses at http://www.rapidelectronics.co.uk/ for £9.95. Order code 86-0265 . Works great. When it arrived this morning I soldered a few resistors to the board. Much easier than I thought it would be :cheerful: .For anyone working on the T amps or SMD it's a tenner well spent.

al.

RCBandwidth

Thanks for the tip about the cheap microscope. I'll give it a go in the future. Yes, I was using solder paste, but once I get used to SMD stuff I'd like to try the fine gauge solder wire, 24 or 26swg. I saw a novel idea on a site a while back (can't remember which one) where a guy used an 18mm piece of MDF on top of his workbench for SMD soldering . At the back he drilled a hole to allow a tight fit for a stiff piece of wire, a thin coathanger I think. The wire was then bent to run horizontally 2 or 3 inches above the MDF towards the front, and then bent down again towards the SMD board . The board end was sharpened to a fine point. All he did was place the component on the board, lift the wire , slide it under the point and let go. The tension in the wire would hold the component in place , leaving both hands free to solder. That's for the future though. I'd better walk before I can run.:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.