For all T-amp tweakers - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th July 2005, 07:49 PM   #11
dnsey is offline dnsey  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

My T-amp sounded horrible to start with - harsh, shrill and 'shouty', but after a few hundered hours of use it's very sweet sounding, and I suspect it's still improving.
Old 13th July 2005, 08:53 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Vix
Hi

I got my T-amp some time ago, and I can say that I am disapointed. The small amp, while having very clear sound, is also harsh. ......

Did anyone experience this?

Can this be cured with some simple modification?

regards,

Vix
Vix
Since my post (number 10) I have been changing arround my stock SI's feeding my ESL's. All SI's have had about 150 hours burn-in time, but the one I now have in play, is decidely off-colour! I am playing Hector Berlioz Symphonie fantastique (Deutsche Grammophon Mono CD 474 987-2 from an originall 1954 recording) and all sections of the orchestra sound like the rasping (correct) brass section - a kind of sharp, nasal quality; also there is a definite fall-off in bass - I would say from about 100 Hz maybe even a bit higher. The other amps sound ok with the same CD. It could be one of a number of things I guess - out of phase channels (has been known) I need to open the case and investigate. However I suspect a more likely cause is the input capacitors that are high. Whatever, it certainly needs a make-over!
May be you too had a rogue stock SI which with a bit of TLC (and a bit more) would give much better performance.
CambshireGordon.
Old 14th July 2005, 01:48 PM   #13
Vix is offline Vix  Yugoslavia
diyAudio Member

Hi

Thanks for all replies. SI is not wired out of phase, however, its rolled-off bass below 100 hZ or so, makes it sound like it's out of phase...
I 've heard opinions that it is the input capacitor fault...I may replace these. I wouldn't mess up with inducrtors yet.
As a first thing, I am going to play some fm radio noise through SI for about a week, and see what will happen...

Best regards,

Vix
Old 14th July 2005, 08:52 PM   #14
starn02 is offline starn02  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quite interesting post about tweaking .....
Doing something similar was my initial scope with my t-amp ..... before frying it out with my soldering iron ... and I have a regulated one too!

I'm reading a lot of posts about mods and desolderings on the SI original PCB .... but that was not definitely designed to be modified at all (like every SMD based card ...).

If your amp is missing along the way ... or if you want to avoid headaches ... take a look at www. autocostruire.com and get a ta2020 class T kit. No SMD miniatures here ... !!!!!

And the sound is very very good, it replaced with success my previous CREEK amp. It's really worth the price in my opinion.

Hide this!Advertise here!