Sonic T-Amp damage:advice?... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd July 2005, 11:30 PM   #1
flablo is offline flablo  Italy
diyAudio Member

Question Sonic T-Amp damage:advice?...

First of all hello, I'm new here.

I'd like to submit a question

I managed to buy a T-Amp(the T-Amp is hard to find here in Italy, so I managed to have one from abroad,but it has not been easy!), I bought a stabilised power adaptor, 12 V, 3.5 A, to use it at home.
For the moment I found two loudspeakers of an old stereo I had, they have 4 wires each (grey, blue, ref, black) which were connected 2 by 2. I was suggested to use them this way, so I just connected them to the T-Amp, 2 wires for the red pin, 2 wires for the black, for both channels. I tried and it worked but after a couple of minutes it stopped. The T-Amp is still turned on with the red light on but no sound coming.
I checked the loudspeakers and I saw the couples of wires were for high (8 ohm) and low (2.7 ohm) impedance and the way they were connected was in parallel, so probably I used the T-Amp with 2.7 ohm impedance !! and now it's gone!!!

I'm wondering if this means that the tripath chip and all are gone, so I can throw it away, or could it be that by replacing some component I can repair it (it still turns on)? If yes, which?

Thank you for your help
Old 3rd July 2005, 02:43 AM   #2
BWRX is offline BWRX  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Is it one of the new pcb's with no solder between the chip's heatslug and the pcb? If so, I had a similar problem with one while testing. Just like you said, the sound cut out, the LED was lit, but the sound never came back. I was testing with an 8 ohm load too. I saw no visible damage anywhere and concluded that it had to be some internal damage to the TA2024 chip. Don't throw it away, if you manage to get another SI you can use the current one for spare parts...
Old 3rd July 2005, 02:43 AM   #3
! is offline !  United States
diyAudio Member

Did you try unplugging it, letting it cool down for a few minutes then retrying it connected to only the higher-ohm wire pairs?
Old 4th July 2005, 05:03 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Well, to better explain (sorry, I'm a novice ..):

On the loudspeakers I had:
HIGH (8 ohm): Black (+) Grey (-)
LOW (2.7 ohm): Red (-) Blue (+)

And when I tried I had (Grey+Red) on one pin and (Black+Blue) on another (and the same for the other channel). This made the amp sound disappear after a couple of minutes. Is it possible?

The loudspeaker have been connected this way to a stereo for years with no problems ...

Umm

-------------------------------

Yes, I waited long, then plugged the amp again and tried only with the Black and Grey wires on the pins, but .. nothing !!

Thank you very much for your help; people!!!

f
Old 4th July 2005, 10:27 PM   #5
dnsey is offline dnsey  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Check the voltage at pin 19.
If high, this indicates a chip fault or output short. If it's low, your chip is probably OK - check that the mute and sleep functions are not activated.
Old 5th July 2005, 10:51 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Ok, great advice!
But what if the mute or sleep functions are activated?

Does that mean that an external fault is present and some component must be chnaged, or can they just be de-activated somehow?

Thank you veeeeery much for your support

Hide this!Advertise here!