Nth Order Sigma-Delta - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th July 2005, 08:06 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kenshin
How many components would that need?
Stripped down to its most basic state, my 6th order ADC circuit has 170 parts: 2 quad opamps, 1 double and 2 singles, a comparator, a handful of logic chips and a whole sprinkling of passives.

http://www.grimmaudio.com/images/admodule.jpg

(It pays off tho. Full scale THD=-129dB, all freqs)
Old 18th July 2005, 10:06 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Quote:
has 170 parts
The purists wouldn't like that especially the amount of op-amps.

Looks very nice BTW. Just out of curiosity: What is the price of such a converter ? How does it compare (sonically) to the usual 5th order converter as proposed by Sony ?

Regards

Charles
Old 18th July 2005, 10:39 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by phase_accurate
The purists wouldn't like that especially the amount of op-amps.
The circuit is balanced, so we're talking about only 6 op-amps .
They're all inside the loop. The input signal is fed to the summing node through only 2 resistors.
Other deltasigma ADCs have an equal number of op-amps in the loop, except that they're invisible (inside a monolithic chip). Furthermore, the switch-cap topology of monolithic ADC's requires a buffer in the input which my continuous-time circuit doesn't. In other words, I've got a much more purist design, with much less in the signal path outside the loop.
Quote:
Just out of curiosity: What is the price of such a converter ?
Depends what you mean. We only sell complete converter systems, not the subcircuit. An 8-channel Grimm Audio AD1 weighs in at around 12k euros EUP.
Quote:
How does it compare (sonically) to the usual 5th order converter as proposed by Sony ?
The Sony circuit refers only to a given modulator topology and coefficients, not to a specific implementation (it doesn't even say whether it's a digital or an analogue modulator), so to make a sonic comparison is not relevant. To give an idea of "sound", we've had demos in studios where the engineers started tracing the cables to check if the signal was really going through the converters...

See AES ppt 5823, "Design Techniques for High-performance Discrete A/D Converters" for info on how the circuit works.
Old 18th July 2005, 10:51 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

This seems to be a really cool converter indeed ! I always like topologies where the active gain stages are within the forward path only.

Quote:
To give an idea of "sound", we've had demos in studios where the engineers started tracing the cables to check if the signal was really going through the converters...
What D/A converter was used ?

Regards

Charles
Old 18th July 2005, 10:56 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to digitoxin
About the "idle tone" problem: I am currently doing an analysis of that effect. My theory is that they are caused by what is called "subharmonic oscillation", something known to exist in higly nonlinear systems. And in a sigma-delta-converter, the comparator is a highly nonlinear thing (in the small-signal point of view, it is always in saturation). The problem is that most of the methods dealing with this effect are just for analysing and not for deriving design tips. I might be totally wrong with that approach, but i give it a chance since what i experienced reminded me of typical sub/superharmonic oscillation scenario.

digi
Old 18th July 2005, 11:16 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
What D/A converter was used ?
A proto.
Old 20th July 2005, 01:07 PM   #27
Kenshin is offline Kenshin  China
diyAudio Member

Is it possible/good to do it with CD4069 CMOS hex inverter instead of OPAMP?

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruno Putzeys

Stripped down to its most basic state, my 6th order ADC circuit has 170 parts: 2 quad opamps, 1 double and 2 singles, a comparator, a handful of logic chips and a whole sprinkling of passives.

http://www.grimmaudio.com/images/admodule.jpg

(It pays off tho. Full scale THD=-129dB, all freqs)
Old 20th July 2005, 01:46 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

It should theoretically be possible to make an experimental d-s modulator with those but don't expect high-end performnance.

Regards

Charles
Old 20th July 2005, 02:43 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

I tried this some time ago, to see if it's possible to make a good simple el-cheapo Class D.

It sounds ok, and it works fine BUT it makes ugly noises at start, stop and clipping. And it has too much DC out.

Can be fixed of course, but after that you will have the same price as the usual setup with opamp integrator, comparator, gate driver etc. So it's not worthwhile.
No matter which modulator and driver you use, the choke, mosfet's, PCB, assembly and power lytics still cost the same...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg elcheapo.jpg (52.6 KB, 225 views)
Old 21st July 2005, 08:25 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

At Philips we had a chap in Vienna who did everything with 4069 chips, including, at one time, a class D amp which even went into a product. Performance was shameful, especially noise, but it worked. Many of the cheaper Philips micro systems were built using 4069 from the ground up.

Hide this!Advertise here!