Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd July 2005, 11:54 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

Default Low bass problem found in my system.

My issue with the bottom end ended up being elsewhere. My preamp is balanced out only and uses homemade interconnects to convert it to single ended.
In my haste to make a new pair the + and - got swapped in one. The imaging was bad and center fill mucked up. But the real issue was the bass was rolling off. Deep bass seems to cancel when one driver is moving out as the other moves in.
Now my battery powered, mono'ed SI has fine low end response. I expected it to be this way from the start.
The ideas that it was lack of current had me looking inside the amp. But the 2 batteries and the caps should slam much more juice than my 15 ohm, 100 dB efficient speakers can take.
I tried another amp that needed different interconnects and since it had good strong low bass thought it was the T amps sonic signature. I had just about given up on the T amps as serious audio toys.

George
Old 5th July 2005, 06:11 AM   #32
diyAudio Member

Default Phase inversion

George,
In my younger days I had a decent setup and liked to show it off. I had done extensive upgrades to about every thing including the speakers. I had recently made acquaintance with a speaker designer and invited him over for a listen. He sat there with a rather puzzled expression on his face and calmly told me how much better it would sound if the tweeters weren’t out of phase, rather embarrassing. Wow what a change when I found the screw up and fixed it. Been there done that!
Been reading how some have found the inductor upgrades are very significant. Yours must have a sweet sound with those inductors you are using.
Roger
Old 7th July 2005, 12:42 AM   #33
jkeny is offline jkeny  Ireland
Banned

Default SI problems with 15ohm speakers

Just an update on my problems with Si & Rogers 15ohm speakers (see above) - I have solved the issue of thin mid band. I had replaced input cap with WIMA 2.2uF caps connected by twisted cat 5 wire to SI board but I had bypassed input inductor and resistor & cap to ground that existed on SI board. Once I made the right connections the sound is now exquisite.

Resistor & cap to ground on input affects the high freq response of the circuit - I should have remembered this.

Oh the problems of being an audio electronics learner

John

Hide this!Advertise here!