Hotrodding the UCD modules

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks for the summary.

I think the option for me would be the new HG modules as Jan-Peter says. But that's starting to look like a new amp project then. I'll have to make up my mind if I need another pair of amps :)

Fortunately that is not urgent, since the UcDs I have now are clearly good enough to keep me from "needing" something else.

I'm looking forward to hear what you guys can make of the new "pimped up" HG modules with add-on regulators. They look tempting.

so Ive got my UCD180st's on the test bed and they sound great oh yes they do! Ive bypassed the input opamp for low level listening and im using a cs3310 (waiting on pga2320's) heres a pic of it working (not that you can hear it on the pic... get the pic)

Attachments

• picture 043333333333.jpg
    picture 043333333333.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 983
sorry for the delay! the children are needy!!

im using the unbalanced version as all of my sources are unbalanced anyway, the transformer is 9-0, 9-0, 9-0, 9-0-9, (1.2a each) giving 11.5v dc rails which is adequate for most users, the pre ive modified as it had a 317 feeding a 7805 (9v pre and 5v sec) so ive removed the 7805 and now planted a pga2320 - 9v should give 3.5-4vrms handling (18-2/4) which should be adequate for my dv89's HDCD output at 4vrms, anyways I have no buffer at the moment the preamp is hooked directly to the modulator of the ucd's coupled with a pair of capacitors to block the dc (measures 250mv without! and zero with) to be honest it sounds awsome, the seperation is great and it drives any old crappy speakers as if they were logans or something! but not very loud without a buffer, I am thinking of adding a lm4562 to the spare 9-0-9 winding but I need a decent circuit and regulator and have to read some forums, ive had good results using shunt regulators but ive only copied designs for 5v rails.

Hi all,

anyone tried the new Hg modules? Looking forward to experiences and tweaks which are best applicable to these!

The pic is of my 4 channel UcD400 with 2 channels AD & 2 new HG channels.

The AD modules are lightly tweaked with Panasonic FC's, no decoupling caps and opamps fed through the HGsupply.

The HG modules are like they left the factory yet, only removed the decoupling caps.

Any comments on the way I built the amp are welcome, hope to learn from 'em, and maybe to improve the amp! It will be used to power a semi active three way loudspeaker system :)

A few questions:

-which of the tweaks as proposed in this very long thread are most usefull to apply to my modules? (soldering musn't be to difficult)

-I've a pair of these: http://www.twistedpearaudio.com/lcps/lcps.aspx fot hte active crossover I'm trying:cannotbe: do you consider these bettrer than the 12V hypex HG supply and is it worth the effort to try to feed the opamps with 'em?

I'm not going to share impressions concering the performance of my amp with you yet since I'v harly listened to the new modules..

thanks in advance:)
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Re: UcD Power supply problem

bruno3955 said:
Hi

I have a problem with my amplifier. The positive supply (both R and L channels), after the power on, will increase from 46V to above the admissible max. The negative supply will stay stable. The “on” signal is connected to GND. If the power supply is disconnected from UcD it remains stable, the problem appears only when the power supply is connected to the amplifier.
Could you please help me to find the mistake?

Amplifier set up:

Hypex: 2 UcD180 + 1SofStart

2 TR (30-0-30)AC 300VA (not hypex)

2 Power supply http://www.ub-audio-shop.de/downloads/ntekurzen.pdf with T-Net-Capacitors

not sure if im on the right track but at a guess i'd say it could be a problem with the fet switching to much ground (caused by dc and other), I imagined that a faster fet would not solve but improve the deficiency that has been spoke of, look up 'supply pumping' in the ucd questions thread its when the single ended amp conducts both supply rails increasing both rail voltage.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.