Sonic Impact PSU current - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd July 2005, 08:40 PM   #31
el`Ol is offline el`Ol  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by !
IMO, better to just get a larger supply.

My supply has 6A max. current. I`m going to test a Panasonic Class D amp, which has the Texas Instruments chips derived from the TaCT Millenium. It uses the rail voltage for volume control, i.e. it is fully-driven at any level and may not need the compression.
Old 2nd July 2005, 11:27 PM   #32
! is offline !  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by el`Ol

My supply has 6A max. current. I`m going to test a Panasonic Class D amp, which has the Texas Instruments chips derived from the TaCT Millenium. It uses the rail voltage for volume control, i.e. it is fully-driven at any level and may not need the compression.
Your results are inconsistent with anyone elses if the supply is adequate. 6A max current is sustained or instantaneous? Something seems odd about your arrangement to the extent that it is an isolated problem not seen by others.

Let me put it another way- Tripath guarantees minimal, very low distortion for at least ~4W though 4 ohm load. To get 4W output, it is manditory that the input power be higher than 100mA. With this in mind it would seem the remaining factor (unless Tripath is blatantly lying) is either your supply, the SI circuit departures from reference, or any mods you made to it (or of course the speakers).
Old 3rd July 2005, 04:35 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

I wouldn`t call it a problem. It`s just that the T-Amp reproduces timbres better than my old valve (push-pull) but has worse timing. And I will have to decide whether to use a Class D amp or build a single-ended valve amp.
Old 12th July 2005, 03:56 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

I just got an analog constant voltage power supply of the same brand and everything is running perfect. There was one piece of Bach where the T-Amp went totally out of time before, and even here - everything perfect. Probably the inernal voltage regulation of the T-Amp formed an oscillator together with the voltage regulation of my power supply, which interfered with the timing. I apologize for having made so much fuzz, but there is one thing we can learn: stay away from variable voltage supplies.

Greets and lots of fun with your T-Amps,

Oliver

Hide this!Advertise here!