UcD700 Q&A - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th May 2005, 02:38 PM   #1
lucpes is offline lucpes  Europe
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to lucpes
Default UcD700 Q&A

I'll take the freedom to post the UcD700 preview pic from the Hypex website and let more knowledgeable (Hypex?) people post comments:

Click the image to open in full size.

First thing that comes into mind is 'Err..., is that T-heatsink-thingie turned 180 degrees?'

Another things I'd like to find out: availability, supply voltages, power, current limiting, connectors, opamps, etc.
Old 28th May 2005, 09:08 PM   #2
wytco0 is offline wytco0  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Good to see that there is a picture available and I noticed that the high spec power supply is now showing as available and can be ordered.

My Amp cases arrived this week and I was planing to buy 2 new Ucd400's to instead of resuing my Ucd180 amp to build a new amp but now I think I might wait for the Ucd700's.

Upgraditis seesm to be even worse in the diy world than it was when I used to buy stuff
Old 29th May 2005, 12:01 AM   #3
ghemink is offline ghemink  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default Re: UcD700 Q&A

Quote:
Originally posted by lucpes
I'll take the freedom to post the UcD700 preview pic from the Hypex website and let more knowledgeable (Hypex?) people post comments:

Click the image to open in full size.

First thing that comes into mind is 'Err..., is that T-heatsink-thingie turned 180 degrees?'

Another things I'd like to find out: availability, supply voltages, power, current limiting, connectors, opamps, etc.

Wow, that looks like a pretty beast. Large amounts of decoupling on board and 3 mosfets per rail in parallel? Probably quite a bit bigger than UcD400.

Best regards and thanks for posting the pic
Old 29th May 2005, 06:33 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: UcD700 Q&A

Quote:
Originally posted by ghemink

Wow, that looks like a pretty beast. Large amounts of decoupling on board and 3 mosfets per rail in parallel? Probably quite a bit bigger than UcD400.

Best regards and thanks for posting the pic
ghemink,
The real question is what is the function for all those extra connections? This opens some very interesting possibilities. Maybe some kind of add-on module can be connected?
Roger
Old 29th May 2005, 10:47 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I thought those power connectors looked too small on the Ucd400 and they look the same on the 700 are they really up to the job? the 180 had much meatier connectors.
Old 29th May 2005, 11:09 AM   #6
lucpes is offline lucpes  Europe
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to lucpes
Quote:
Originally posted by wytco0
I thought those power connectors looked too small on the Ucd400 and they look the same on the 700 are they really up to the job? the 180 had much meatier connectors.
The power & speaker connectors are right near the heatsink, more than adequate in size. The revision of the UcD400 currently available has the same power connectors, as does the UcD180.

The smaller 4 pin connector must be same as on the other UcD's (balanced input and /On).

<guessing>

As for the 10 pin connector near the 22uf/63V ? Philips coupling caps I can only speculate that it has something to do with the opamp

If the 3 pin connector is direct input for the UcD control module itself a big thanks to Bruno for that

</guessing>
Old 29th May 2005, 12:15 PM   #7
ghemink is offline ghemink  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Re: UcD700 Q&A

Quote:
Originally posted by sx881663

ghemink,
The real question is what is the function for all those extra connections? This opens some very interesting possibilities. Maybe some kind of add-on module can be connected?
Roger

Hi Roger,

Maybe those extra connections are there because it is a prototype.

All those power supply decoupling caps seem to be 220uF 100V. Wonder why not 470uF 100V as on the UcD400. Of course there are 6 of them per rail, so total 1320uF per rail. Maybe some of them are used behind the resistor. On the UcD400, you have a few coils in the power rails, then the 470uf caps, than a smal resistor (R005=5mOhm (really that low??) or 50mOhm?) and then 10uF 100V that is decoupling the power mosfets together with some small chip caps (100nF???). This cap is 22uF on the UcD180, at least on the old ones that I have. Was thinking of a possible tweak of the UcD400 to replace the 470uF caps with 100V 1000uF, size would fit, however, the caps would be longer, so they would be sticking out higher than the heatsink.

Best regards

Gertjan
Old 29th May 2005, 01:09 PM   #8
Bgt is offline Bgt  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

any word on pricing???? These are awsomely looking (and sounding?).
Old 29th May 2005, 04:11 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

lucpes, Ah yes I see them now I only noticed the small one which I though wre like the ones on the 400, I guess the 400 has been upgraded a bit since the first version.

I am definately going to wait before deciding which ones to get hopefully the 700s will be at least as good as the 400's
Old 29th May 2005, 06:10 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

We are working on the Uc700.......

Some answers on all questions (some can be prelimenary!);
Absolute maximumvoltage 90VDC (overvoltage protection)(all components rated voor 100V)
Working voltage 85VDC.
Outputpower +/- 700W in 4 ohm.
Outputpower +/- 900W in 2 ohm.
Outputpower +/- 450W in 1 ohm.
Maximum outputcurrent will be 30A piek.
Opamps AD8620 or OPA2134 (just as the UcD400).
Connector for bypassing input elcos, or even bypassing the input opamp. This is the small 3-pin connector. So you can use an own designed preamp.
Power fets Philips PSMN057-200+schottky diodes+flybackdiodes.
Decoupling caps 2 x 5 x 220uF/100V.
4-layer PCB, design is quite complex..........
Avalability after summer holiday (august/september).
The same sonic performance as the UcD180/UcD400, or even better because of the higher power..... Or,
better sonic performance because the low power voltage comes from a seperate power supply (10pins connector)
Price......not yet available.

Proto works quite ok.......

Regards,

Jan-Peter

Hide this!Advertise here!