Free to good home

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I tried installing some 1 ufd SMD poly film caps today in a SI amp. After 30 minutes, I give up. I installed 4 ceramics 2.2 ufd in a 806 package in 15 minutes.
These are in a 1210 package. All measured 1.02 - 0.98 on my LCR meter. Email if wanted, I can put in a letter. There are 19 of them.
The repeated attempts to solder to the small pads did not short the one tried, but its measured value dropped from 1.01 ufd to 0.99 after about 20 tries at getting it stuck at both ends.
I was going to stack two to make a hillbilly 2 ufd cap. I could not get it to ever check continuity on both sides.
The 41Hz boards may have solder pads made for a larger cap. I looks like the stock 0.33 ufd cap is a 405 package.

George

A bit off the topic, but would stacking the caps give a parallel instead of a series configuration? To double the values (= 2uF), wouldn't you want these in series?

Just curious, I'm not sure how this works. My intuition screams do them in series, but my intuition is often flawed...

Thanks for letting me stray.

Not yey

ohenry said:
Thanks for the answers to my elementary question. I've read that somewhere in the past, but totally forgot.:xeye: Then it came to me...

Old age is hell. :devilr:

NOW...about a new home for those SMD caps. Any takers???

No one has chimed in yet. Guess the ones who might try know about soldering oversized SMD poly fim caps. They are much tougher to do than the ceramics.
The ceramics transfer heat fairly well. I

Not yey

ohenry said:
Thanks for the answers to my elementary question. I've read that somewhere in the past, but totally forgot.:xeye: Then it came to me...

Old age is hell. :devilr:

NOW...about a new home for those SMD caps. Any takers???

No one has chimed in yet. Guess the ones who might try know about soldering oversized SMD poly fim caps. They are much tougher to do than the ceramics.
The ceramics transfer heat fairly well. I have it possible to get them hot enough to melt the solder on both ends at the same time. This way an oversized cap came be wiggled around enough to drag a solder contact without actually sitting over the mounting pads.
The film caps do not tranfer heat, it is impossible to melt both ends with one iron. Maybe this is why the manufacturer recommends a hot air gun to install.

George

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.