Anyone tried an eval board from Tripath?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've never tried the t-amp, but I do use a ta2020 eval board. Very nice quality, but kind of a pain to get (even though I live just a few miles from Tripath). I am quite happy with the sound from this little thing. I think the 41hz boards are based on the eval layouts (could be wrong haven't looked in a while), but with better parts. If you can solder, you may find it easier to get the 41hz boards.

PSz.

I think the evaluation boards are better platforms than the sonic impact without mods as they should be (mo' money!). You can get evaluation boards from profusion plc as easy as clicking on a button and that's what I did even though I live in the US. Life is too short for the US tripathetic run around.

The 41 Hz amp 3 is good if you can solder the tiny parts. Bolder Cable may be pursuaded to sell an assembled amp to you that's been all tricked out. :D So far, the amp 3 is better to my ears, but others swear by the TA2024 chip.

peranders said:

:scratch: Can you explain?

I just meant that out of the box, the evaluation boards have better sound due to having higher PS and input cap values. The SI input caps value are .33uF and that results in less bass as stated by others here. The quality of the board is better as well IMO.

I didn't want to imply that the modified SI can't be as good or better than a modded evaluation board, I was only referring to stock units.

Hope that helps...:)

peranders said:
SI :scratch: Enlighten me please.

I assume that you have tested the 41Hz board since you have opinoins?

Oops, sorry about that. SI = the fabled Sonic Impact amp that uses the TA2024 chip.

I built the amp3 from 41Hz that's based on the TA2021b chip and I prefer it to the TA2024 boards that I have modded in my system. I'm sure others may enjoy the TA2024 as well or better.

To my ears, the amp3 has better bass, fuller midrange and maintains that tripath knack for detail resolution. Overall, it's cleaner sounding to me. It's only $25 US, but requires some skill to get the chip mounted properly (those legs are tiny).

I hope that helps.:)

P.S. Here are some photos of my amp3...

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hi Henry,

I've just ordered an Amp3 kit from Jan so I'm looking forward to trying it out.

So how good do these things sound? I have never tried classD before so not sure what to expect.
What other amps have you compared it against?

BTW Beautiful case there mate:cool: Is it one you made yourself?

Cheers!
Leo

Hi Leo,
No I didn't make that case, it's from IAG (I'm not that good). The case makes my hobby tolerable to my better half.

I really like the amp3's sound (and so does my wife and she's always right!). See some of the posts at Jan's site regarding builders' reviews for an idea of how this thing performs.

Have fun with your kit.:D

ohenry said:
Hi Leo,
No I didn't make that case, it's from IAG (I'm not that good). The case makes my hobby tolerable to my better half.

I really like the amp3's sound (and so does my wife and she's always right!). See some of the posts at Jan's site regarding builders' reviews for an idea of how this thing performs.

Thanks Henry:)
Well your Amp3 still looks veruy neat.

I've just joined Jans forum, I've got three other amps but the J-fet buffered zero fb regulated GC will be the main one I compare it against.
Do you use Jans recommended regulated PSU with the LMS1585A?

ohenry said:
Hi Leo,

Where did you get that case and what is that monstrous capacitor for?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.