Class D and Very Low Impedance loads - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd August 2005, 08:38 AM   #31
Pafi is offline Pafi  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kenshin
too big MOSFETs
Yes, they are big for 2*3W, but too small for 50W@0.1ohm. This is just a sample, these tranzies were in my drawer, parts should be replaced.

Quote:
but the power output is only a few watts.
Up to 240W, but current capability and efficiency are still too low for 0.1 ohm load.
Old 22nd March 2015, 02:02 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LineSource View Post
I'm excited to see so much activity and hope to see some sample schematics and Spice simulations soon.

The ribbon is 100 db/watt efficient, but at 0.1 ohms, we still need 10 amps to reach 1 watt. I design my speakers for 110 db @ 1m max SPL, as I do most of my listening below 80 db @1m, about 74db at the couch. This is the magic of high efficiency ribbon linesources, you can get goosebump audio at kid safe SPLs.

My current amp is a DIY Class-A that uses a SuperSym folded cascode topology to drive 16 Sanken 180 watt bipolar output transistors. The output stage is a bridge with 4 NPN-PNP pairs on each symmetrical side. I am currently using a +/- 7V power supply for the output stage and +/- 12V for the driver circuits.

I am looking forward to a fully digital signal path: digital outs from the DVD/CD player, going over digital cables to each speaker where there is a digital Xover with room equalization and YOUR DIGITAL AMP.
Are there any news in this matter?

Last edited by tiefbassuebertr; 22nd March 2015 at 02:06 PM.
Old 22nd March 2015, 06:37 PM   #33
bcarso is offline bcarso  United States
diyAudio Member

Going on ten years now! Oh well these things take time, especially when the fully digital signal path has been under fire as more marketing than real improvement. I think this was the first thread I looked at on this site lo those many years ago.
Old 23rd March 2015, 02:15 AM   #34
soongsc is offline soongsc  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

I think it is a nobel goal to try and keep digital music digital throughout the system. Generally it should be a lot easier to control all the interface between equipment. Although, having heard a report from a friend that even optical cables can alter the sound, the signal interface. buffering, and timing probably needs a more thorough investigation.
Old 23rd March 2015, 02:39 AM   #35
bcarso is offline bcarso  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes, it is a myth that digital transmission is perfect and immune to interference.
Old 23rd March 2015, 03:12 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Looks like getting low enough self-noise on the power supply for satisfying subjective dynamics is going to be the biggest challenge here. Building on Bruno's earlier calculations for the capacitor size (around 0.5F) the ESR needs to scale down too alongside the capacitance scale-up. Given a typical pair of reservoir caps might have 10-20mohms ESR the 0.5F cap should have ESR below 0.5mohm. This level of ESR is achieved with some of the larger Maxwell ultracaps however the large capacitance needed to achieve this (into 1000s of Farads) is inconvenient in terms of switch-on time.

I think using an output trafo is a more practical option.

Hide this!Advertise here!