Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th May 2005, 07:08 AM   #1
nickmig is offline nickmig  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to nickmig
Default SI in a car with focal 165k2's

I was thinking of getting two Sonic Impacts, and having each drive it's own side of the 165k2's. The set consists of a 3/4" tweeter and a 6.5" midbass, left and right.

On the datasheet for my speakers, it claims they have a 92db/m sensitivity at 2.8 V/1m. I currently have a soundstream rubicon 502 (125w x 2) powering the components, and I listen to music loudly every once in a while. I am planning on powering the SI's off of my carputer power supply. Do you guys think the SI's will be loud enough in a car environment?

Here is the specs of the 165k2s
Old 7th May 2005, 08:09 PM   #2
mourip is offline mourip  United States
diyAudio Member

Why not run it off the car's 12v DC? ... and maybe add a resevoir cap ahead of it to help with transients?

Let us know what you end up doing and how it sounds.

Best,

Paul
Old 7th May 2005, 08:11 PM   #3
JZatopa is offline JZatopa  United States
diyAudio Member

It won't be loud enough. If you are looking to try something different then that would be different but it will not be close to the quality of your rubicon.
Old 8th May 2005, 07:05 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

close to quality, or close to how loud it is with the rubicon.

I have read so many of these good reviews, but what listening level are people reviewing it at?
Old 8th May 2005, 02:28 PM   #5
BWRX is offline BWRX  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

moderate listening level with fairly efficient speakers at HOME! unless your car is not moving or has a LOT of sound deadening material, you have to overcome a rather loud noise floor which means your speakers require more power. 9W/ch at 8ohms can get high sensitivity speakers to more than adequate volume levels in small/medium size rooms. then again, it depends on what you consider an adequate volume level.
Old 8th May 2005, 07:19 PM   #6
JZatopa is offline JZatopa  United States
diyAudio Member

"close to quality, or close to how loud it is with the rubicon"

Both. To get any kind of useable volume you havbe to push the T amp to it's limits and even then you may not have enough output. To bad you can't bridge those amps, then it would be a possability.
Old 8th May 2005, 08:05 PM   #7
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

You should get the amps to try it- then if it doesn't work you have the amps for a bunch of other projects! They come in handy!
Old 9th May 2005, 12:48 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Well, I purchased one from parts express...I'll be able to tell you guys how it sounds after my finals are over (wed.) or when I get the amp in the mail. Thanks for the opinions, and I am hoping that it will get loud enough. I've been doing a lot of searching and I haven't seen anyone thats hooked them up in a car.... maybe there is a reason behind that. With the sensitivity, what is the difference between them measuring at 2.8v/1m instead of at 1w/1m? Are they doing this so the speakers look more sensitive then they really are?
Old 9th May 2005, 03:23 AM   #9
BWRX is offline BWRX  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by nickmig
With the sensitivity, what is the difference between them measuring at 2.8v/1m instead of at 1w/1m? Are they doing this so the speakers look more sensitive then they really are?
If you have an 8 ohm speaker, the sensitivity at 2.83V/1m and 1W/1m would be equal. If you have a 4 ohm speaker, the sensitivity at 2V/1m and 1W/1m would be equal. If the speaker is 4 ohms and the sensitivity is quoted at 2.83V/1m then it would be the same as the sensitivity at 2W/1m. Since your speakers are 4 ohm nominal, the 92dB @ 2.83V/1m is a misleading figure. It would be less than 92dB @ 1W/1m, actually more like 89dB @ 1W/1m.
Old 10th May 2005, 08:48 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

The SI will still put 10-15 watts into a 4 ohm driver. You might want to tweak the output caps for a 4 ohm load. You may also wish to biamp the component set if it supports it -- 1 SI for the left and 1 for the right. Unless it's a series x-over, you can probably find a way to biamp the set.

I also think with mods, the SI would probably be on par with the rubicon in terms of SQ..

Hide this!Advertise here!