SI in a car with focal 165k2's - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th May 2005, 09:49 PM   #11
JZatopa is offline JZatopa  United States
diyAudio Member

With active crossovers this may work. If anything your mid may end up needing more power but if you were set on doing this I would deffinately go with an active setup.
Old 10th May 2005, 10:22 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

I agree. I would do the standard mods to the SI. Actually, if you don't plan on having it play below 60 hz or so, you can leave the stock input cap in there anyhow. You should probably pull the volume control out of the signal chain.

I think in an active setup, or maybe a biamped one, this would probably provide a decent amount of volume. It probably won't be as loud as your rubicon, but it will still probably be satisfactory.
Old 11th May 2005, 05:08 AM   #13
spots25 is offline spots25  United States
diyAudio Member

another option is the AMP3 kit from 41hz.com I mean, you'd have to solder it yourself, but it puts out a bit more power (2x25)
Old 11th May 2005, 05:20 AM   #14
MEXXX is offline MEXXX  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to MEXXX Send a message via MSN to MEXXX Send a message via Yahoo to MEXXX
I've used a stock SI in a car to power a 6.5" component set with passive crossovers. It was powered from the cars 12v system which was about 14v when the car was running.

I was extremely surprised at how much output I actually got from the setup. I'm sure if you used 2 SI's and bi-amped you would get even better results.
Old 11th May 2005, 06:26 AM   #15
BWRX is offline BWRX  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

was this while you were driving the car or while it was standing still? i have a 65Wx2 continuous amp for the components in the front of my car, but it takes quite a bit of volume to reach good listenting levels while driving on the highway. even more so with the windows down. if your car is quiet it might be worth trying out.
Old 12th May 2005, 07:41 AM   #16
nickmig is offline nickmig  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to nickmig
My SI comes tom. so I will let you guys know how it sounds. I am optomistic about it, and if it doesn't work I'll have one to mod and play around with.
Old 13th May 2005, 07:39 AM   #17
nickmig is offline nickmig  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to nickmig
I got my amp, and put batteries in it, and the light flashes on and off sporatically. I tried plugging in a power adapter, but it might have been too big. 4 of the batteries were brand new (alkaline), 2 just got out of the charger(nimh), and I pulled 2 from my digital camera(nimh). Will the SI still turn on if 2 of the batteries aren't at full voltage?
Old 14th May 2005, 01:56 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

You need to put akaline batteries in there, or use a 12v SLA. NiMH's have a charged voltage of about 1.2v instead of the 1.5v in akalines. You probably don't have enough voltage to get it working with what you have in there right now.

You could use NiMH if you put 10 of them in series -- that would give you the 12v the SI needs.

Hide this!Advertise here!