Power stage topology - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th May 2005, 01:36 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Maybe not 100% OT, but this article gives an interesting overview of the issues, including power supplies for class-D:

http://www.edn.com/contents/images/526331.pdf

Jan Didden
Old 4th May 2005, 01:53 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

to me this smells like a Zetex advertisement !!!

Regards

Charles
Old 4th May 2005, 02:31 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by janneman
Maybe not 100% OT, but this article gives an interesting overview of the issues, including power supplies for class-D:

http://www.edn.com/contents/images/526331.pdf

Jan Didden
This article shows how much digitally controlled class D amps are all about creating real analogue problems (power supply sensitivity, jitter sensitivity etc) only to solve an imaginary problem (the DAC and analogue signal processing).

A simple but well designed analogue class D delivers performance (measured and sonic) that makes this article's subject a joke, contains no fancy noise shapers or filters and does not need anything special by the way of power supply and is cheap to build.

I do use noise shapers and digital filters extensively, but only in DAC's. It's always better to do the D/A conversion in the small signal domain instead of trying to pull it off using power FETs.
Old 5th May 2005, 07:42 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

There is one thing that I find very interesting, almost every design that I have seen for a class D has very low distrotion up to about 100W then the destortion sky rocks. I would have thought a well designed amplifier would stay much more consistant.
Old 5th May 2005, 05:48 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Default Distortion

This may be true in true digital non-feedback designs. In the analog PWM world, ICE Power and Hypex for example, distortion characteristics are more like Class AB amps, where they do not skyrocket until the amplifier goes into clipping.

Hide this!Advertise here!