Pure Digital amplifier modules? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st May 2005, 04:14 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Pure Digital amplifier modules?

I have begun reading up on the subject Class D amplifiers. I have seen links to various Amplifier moduls which seem rather excellent in their own right. I wonder if there are any Pure Digital amplifier modules out there, which completely skip the D-to-A converter and are fed through a digital input?
Old 1st May 2005, 04:59 PM   #2
JohnW is offline JohnW  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Take a look at D2Audio

John
Old 1st May 2005, 05:13 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

The TI Equibit chips used in Tact amps and the Panasonic XR series receivers are a 'pure digital' technology. There's a fair bit of info on these here in the archives if you search.
Old 1st May 2005, 05:21 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dwk123
The TI Equibit chips used in Tact amps and the Panasonic XR series receivers are a 'pure digital' technology. There's a fair bit of info on these here in the archives if you search.
Can these be bought as amplifier modules, or are they only available as chips?
Old 1st May 2005, 06:12 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnW
Take a look at D2Audio

John
D2Audio's products are indeed interesting. Do you know anything about their sound quality?
I'm keen on the XS125, I could mount these in the plint of my Petit Filou loudspeaker.
Old 1st May 2005, 07:13 PM   #6
IVX is offline IVX  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

Ninfendo,
i think, that real sensation in the this sector is coming soon from
here
Old 1st May 2005, 08:25 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Take a look at D2Audio

John
Hi John,
Ivan pointed me to the thread on your Digital Amplifier project, very interesting indeed. After doing some research i'm completely hooked on the concept of using an all active digital signal path all the way. How do you think the D2Audio products compares to your Digital amp?
Old 1st May 2005, 10:04 PM   #8
JohnW is offline JohnW  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

The D2 modules are aim squarely at the consumer audio market – despite the big play about THX ultra approval – this means nothing. The D2 modules have some very impressive front end control software – allows you to implement your own cross-over etc. If I where in the business of manufacturing higher-end “all in one” home cinema systems I would be taking a VERY series look at D2.

D2 modules are a good fit for the China market where true R&D skills are very rare, and time to market is critical. I just don’t understand the crazy politics that meant D2 modules are manufactured in India – the markets in China and so is the best and lowest price manufacturing.

D2 do what YOU know you should do – manufacture your modules in China!

The DAX 1 is designed for a completely different market – the best sound no matter what the component cost.

The ECL logic used for the reference PWM nodes cost almost 7 times the cost of a complete 100W + 100W D2 module alone.

If you’ve ever heard the difference that changing audio interconnects and coupling capacitors can make (and there compromises) – then you will understand the greatest advantage a pure digital amplifier has – the “simplest” and most direct replay path.

John
Old 1st May 2005, 10:33 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The D2 modules are aim squarely at the consumer audio market – despite the big play about THX ultra approval – this means nothing. The D2 modules have some very impressive front end control software – allows you to implement your own cross-over etc. If I where in the business of manufacturing higher-end “all in one” home cinema systems I would be taking a VERY series look at D2.

D2 modules are a good fit for the China market where true R&D skills are very rare, and time to market is critical. I just don’t understand the crazy politics that meant D2 modules are manufactured in India – the markets in China and so is the best and lowest price manufacturing.

D2 do what YOU know you should do – manufacture your modules in China!

The DAX 1 is designed for a completely different market – the best sound no matter what the component cost.

The ECL logic used for the reference PWM nodes cost almost 7 times the cost of a complete 100W + 100W D2 module alone.

If you’ve ever heard the difference that changing audio interconnects and coupling capacitors can make (and there compromises) – then you will understand the greatest advantage a pure digital amplifier has – the “simplest” and most direct replay path.

John
Hi John,
I'm intrigued! So a Stereo amp would cost around USD 899 when this project is finished? If the amplifier is as good as you say it is, it seems to be very good value.
If I were to use a digital crossover in an active design in conjunction with your amp and would have something rather special right?
Old 1st May 2005, 10:39 PM   #10
tiroth is offline tiroth  United States
diyAudio Member

The D2 modules are VERY cheap...but currently only available as either a dev kit or in OEM quantities. I keep pinging one of their sales guys and he keeps telling me they want to sell to the boutique market or even possibly one-off quantities...but no word yet on firm plans to do so.

The DS125 is attractive because it could implement a complete 3 or 4 way speaker complete with crossovers. A pair of modules comes in under the cost of a DCX2496 alone!

Hide this!Advertise here!