Discrete Gate Driver Help!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everybody,

I am currently designing a Class BD filterless audio amplifier (8W 8ohm ) as my graduation project.

I am using 4 n-channel mosfets and also LM319 as comparators. The supplies of the bridge are +-12V's. According to my advisor, it is unnecessary to use ic gate driver for this design, this means that i have to use discrete ones. But i have no idea about discrete GD circuits. What kind of circuit do you suggest?

I have also attached the schematics.

Thanks in advance....

Attachments

• general schematic.jpg
    general schematic.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 407
It sounds like you can get by very well using P and N MOSFETs. A half bridge driver consists of one buffer (BC807/817 emitter follower pair), coupled to the gates through a coupling capacitor (100nF or so). From each gate to source, add zener diodes for DC restoration and dead-time setting (you can choose the zeners such that you get a DC offset so that Vth is precisely halfway the driver waveform for both FETs).

Don't forget a resistor from G to S as well to insure the whole thing doesn't blow up when you turn the power on.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.