No bass with SI T-amp. Why ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The first thing (and also the one that's giving the least work) I would try is to connect it to someone else's CD player (different model of course) and check if there is a difference.

If there is a problem with the source's output impedance then a preamp (just a buffer actually) would give an improvement. But it has to be of sufficient quality. A non-inverting buffer with a quality op-amp wouldn't be that expensive. Maybe you can also change the output caps of your CD player.

Does anyone know the value of the SI's input pot ? Maybe your's is equipped with the wrong value, giving an absolutely wrong input impedance.

Regards

Charles

doubtful, I suspect the problem is that the line out you are using from your computer is eq'ed, maybe in your music player (winamp, etc) you have eq'ed the bass up? If you are using windows media player, the srs fx will also boost the bass. check this before cracking apart your SI.

pne said:
doubtful, I suspect the problem is that the line out you are using from your computer is eq'ed, maybe in your music player (winamp, etc) you have eq'ed the bass up? If you are using windows media player, the srs fx will also boost the bass. check this before cracking apart your SI.

pne, I've tried quite many variations now: changed CDPs, changed amps...and now I'm almost sure that the problem is SI t-amp. And even if I could crack apart my t-amp, it wouldn't solve my problem, 'cos I am a total ignoramus in electronics...

As regards the PC, you were right, the bass improved only due to soundcard's eq's.

Damn it, I feel like giving up and going for regular amp (eg. NAD C320BEE), leaving a dream to hear that 'unbelievably good' sound the t-amp provides :(

I'd crack open the T-Amp if I were you. I had no real prior knowledge of electronics before I got my T-Amp and started modding it and I haven't killed it yet. Maybe you'll spot a loose connection or a short, which is easily fixed. Hell, for a few bucks in capacitors and resistors from Digikey, you can considerably upgrade the sound quality even. And if you do kill it, it wasn't working out for you anyway so it'd be no big deal, right?

JWFokker said:
I'd crack open the T-Amp if I were you. I had no real prior knowledge of electronics before I got my T-Amp and started modding it and I haven't killed it yet. Maybe you'll spot a loose connection or a short, which is easily fixed. Hell, for a few bucks in capacitors and resistors from Digikey, you can considerably upgrade the sound quality even. And if you do kill it, it wasn't working out for you anyway so it'd be no big deal, right?

well, I opened it...and did not find anything (loose connection or something). I suppose I should bring this device to someone who understands electronics.

Any ideas what should I tell him (where could be the problem) in order to ease his work...?

I have been enquiring in few places regarding bass problems in my t-amp. Almost unanimously everyone suggests that the problem is not t-amp, but the speakers...which, I have recently found out, are only 86.5dB sensitivity.

Could anyone, please, confirm that the sensitivity (low) of speakers can indeed influence the bass response on t-amp...???

...to my knowledge, it is highly doubtful...

big thanks for your replies

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.