SI T-AMP dead?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I **think** I need help. I posted a message on AudioKarma.org Discussion Forums and someone answered me that I should also try here. Here’s my message:

I received my T-AMp yesterday and (probably) did the worng thing: I have (has, he’s dead now) a 12V power supply that I used with my Musical Fidelity X-Cans headphones amplifier. 12V is 1V is 12V, right? Mmmm, not su sure, now... The Musical Fidelity power supply was a 500mA and the T-Amp needs a 1500mA. The MF power supply died (a loud Clac!) and now my T-Amp smell like something has burned inside and don’t work, even with batteries.

Now for the question: Do someone knows which part of the T-Amp could have burned? Do you think it can be (easily) replaced? Of course I guess if it’s the IC, I just have to buy a new Amp... Do you think that it’s the diffrence of mA (500 vs 1500) that blew the power supply and the T-Amp?

Unfortunately it sounds like you reversed the polarity of the supply
which blows the TA2024. Yes, there is no protection against that in the amp.
Did you check the polarity of the supply and amp?

Do you think that it’s the diffrence of mA (500 vs 1500) that blew the power supply and the T-Amp?
No, you should have heard the amp clipping before.
Might have been your speakers if they are fairly hard to drive or better: have very low impedance dips.

JMGJMG said:

12V is 1V is 12V, right? Mmmm,

Did it kill the power supply also? I suspect the power supply was wired with the outer connection hot and the inner ground.
This has let the smoke out of several 5066's. I do not think using a 500 ma supply hurt anything. It would limit the power output.
Also, your question about voltage is a little confusing. I accidently ran a 5066 at 16.6 volts for a week. Did not hurt it one bit.
It thought the MF gear ran on 24 volts. You might check if the power supply still works.

George

Also, your question about voltage is a little confusing.

Should have been *12V is 12V is 12V, right?* Yes, the power supply is now dead... And, what’s worse, I tried the dead power supply on me MF headphone amp (to check if it owrked) and it seems that that caused problem to the amp (in any case, it’s what the man at the shop where I bought the MF headphone amp said to me on the phone). Now the headphone amp don’t even work with a Radio Shack power supply (qith correct, voltage, amerape and polarity)...

:( :(

I have a MF X-Cans V2 headphone amp. The Power Supply that comes with it is definitely 12V 500mA but it is also definitely AC power. I doubt the S.I. reacts well to AC. Double check the Radio Shack Power supply as to whether it is AC or DC power. I don't know what effect plugging the MF X-Can into DC power would have other than it not working on that power supply. 12V does not equal 12V when you mix AC and DC. Parts Express sells some 12V AC adapters that should replace your original MF one. I think they will ship to Canada. Sorry you burned up your S.I., Parts Express has those too. (Note: I am not affiliated with Parts Express, just a happy customer. :D )

Todd

It will probably "work" but 400mA is less than the stock one, so you may under-power it and cause damage, don't really know for sure. A lot of folks on-line actually upgrade their power supplies to 1000mA, supposedly with positive results in sound quality. The unit should only draw as much power as it needs, so I guess the theory is that the amp occaisionally asks for more that 500mA. I haven't tried that either. My stock power supply works fine for now. A better place for that question would be headfi.org. There is a ton of info on headphones and headphone amps there and plenty of people with X-Cans too.

Todd

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.