TA2024 evaluation board

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I am a newbie on this forum and a newbie in the world of DIY. I am amazed by the sound of the Sonic Impact T-Amp.
My question is: how does it compare to an TA2024 evaluation board? Is this board ready to use as an amplifier, without any modifications?

I am asking this because I am not very experienced in soldering and this board is rather small. Building a chassis however will not be a problem for me.

opentop said:
I am a newbie on this forum and a newbie in the world of DIY. I am amazed by the sound of the Sonic Impact T-Amp.
My question is: how does it compare to an TA2024 evaluation board? Is this board ready to use as an amplifier, without any modifications?

The evaluation board has several advantages over the SI. The board is a larger and the input caps are 2.2uF, so the bass roll off isn't an issue. Also, the power supply caps have a little more capacity.

The evaluation board is equipped with banana jacks for speaker and power connections. Also, there are stereo RCA jacks for the input signal. It is an amp, so there's no volume control and you'll need a 12-13.2 volt power supply.

The disadvantage is the price as compared to the SI, but I haven't regretted paying more (I've had both). And if you don't want to modify it, you get a taste of what a modded SI can do without the risk. If you want to modify, it's a nice platform to start with.:D

Okay, thanks a lot Henry. I already have the SI. After your reply I will surely buy the evaluation board! Maybe it's a good start (looking at the price difference between the two) to mod the SI instead of the evaluation board. Just to have fun, just to try.

And there ar e a lot of mods, judging by all the posts in this forum!

Yes Jens,

I already checked AMP3 at 41HZ. But like I said, I am not very experienced in soldering, so I would like to buy a 'complete' board.
The evaluation board costs a little more than 71 euro. You still have to add VAT as well. As you live in Germany, in the end it will cost you something like 87, 88 euro.

I am willing to learn (to mod that is). But I think it's better just to read a lot about modding first, and about the theory of electronics and things like that. Then practice soldering on non-electronic things, and so on. It's better to be prepared when I begin the real modding, don't you think?

Let us know how it goes on the soldering.
Already promised Jan to give a little review how everything turns out.
PCB is as big as a standard lighter. Real cute.
Should solder it at the weekend when I got time and piece.
Although I might regret it, eventually drinking on friday and saturday.
Alternatively I´ll prepare some milkshakes.:D

It's better to be prepared when I begin the real modding, don't you think?
If you don´t mind spending the extra money I´d do the same.
Think about the time and nerves you spend on "from the scratch".
I reckon it´s good training though.

From my experiences at work I can tell you that you should have some space around you and a clean floor. Just in case one of those "fleas" falls down or jumps from your tweezers.
Ideally have some extra parts...

BTW: do you think I can easily solder without extra flux?

greets

I am thinking of ordering the evaluation board EB-TA2024 at profusionpcl.com. Does anyone have experience with this supplier? Is it possible for me, being a 'non-company', to order just the one board? I cannot tell by ythe information given on their site.

Thanks!

opentop said:
I am thinking of ordering the evaluation board EB-TA2024 at profusionpcl.com. Does anyone have experience with this supplier? Is it possible for me, being a 'non-company', to order just the one board? I cannot tell by ythe information given on their site.
Thanks!

The Profusion guys were great, that's where I got mine and they were very quick and helpful with my questions. Much easier than going through the Tripath distributor here in the States, they don't want to bother with small timers such as me and they charge more (~$99 vs. ~$82).

Good luck and play on.:cool:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.