SI T-amp warm-up?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've read in tnt review, that t-amp needs from 50 to 100 hours of warming-up/braking-in time. What does that mean? Could someone briefly explain?

Since my new SI T-amp really lacks bass, I presume this is because I have used it only for couple of hours. Could I be right?

...when it warms-up, the sound will improve drastically, won't it? :)

thanks for your help.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hello to our fellow DIYer in Lithuania! Glad to have you here.

To answer your questions.
1) Warm-up. This means that the sound will improve, or at least change as the device reaches a stable operating temperature. This can be very obvious with tube devices, less so with solid state. This is not the same thing as "burn-in". See below.

2) Burn-in/Break-in. It is argued that these do not exist for solid state devices. Most of us believe that it does, though. This means that as the componants age, they work better, or achieve some state of Equilibrium. The sound of the Tripath chip is thought to lose its harsh edge with a few (100) hours of "burn-in". I don't think that anyone has reported improved bass response with time.

3) I do not believe that your Sonic will devolope a better bass response no matter how long you burn it. The Sonic Impact circuit uses a small 0.33uF input cap which limits the bass responce. There are several threads here about this. Your best choice is to replace this cap with a high quality 2.2uF cap. Again, read thru the threads on this forum.

4) A good quality power supply will help the dynamics and even the bass response of the amp. Are you using AA batteries? (called LR6 in Europe) . Find yourself a good 12VDC power supply or a Sealed Lead Battery. It will improve the sound.

Do you plan to replace the volume control and the audio connectors? This will also help the sound quality. You can read about this in other threads here.

Have a look at some of the Sonic Imapct threads on this forum and let us here what you plan to do. Good Luck!

panomaniac: thank you very much for a prompt reply. I should have emphasized earlier that I am total rookie at DIY...and my profession is totally opposite to electronics. Furthermore, I have skipped quite many phisics classes when I was in shcool, so I feel completely lost when you start using terms such as '0.33uF'...:)

In any way, I would really be afraid to modify or even do any slight changes to my SI, because, again, it is really tough to get one here, in eastern part of Europe:)

So, I would ask, will the offered modifications improve the sound quality vastly and therefore it is worth risking the device ? :/

I am not being so enthusiastic about implementing modifications...since, again, it took me a while to get SI and I really really wouldn't like to break it :)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I can understand you not wanting to break what was so hard to get! Even though I've been building stuff for years, I still kill things.

Maybe you should just get a good power supply or battery to start with. Enjoy the amp for awhile.

The next step would be to replace the input and output connectors, you can do that without much risk. Replacing the volume control would come next, a bit more difficult to do.

Please read what others have done and ask questions. That's what we are here for.

If you need help getting another amp, perhaps someone here can help you. The supply has been tight in the USA, it must be just about impossible in Lithuania.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.