UCD400 layout... I screwed up!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hello,

Is this layout too tight? I didn't take enough measurements before I bought the enclosure... and I hate to have to buy another one. Let me know if this is alright... This is for a monoblock UCD400 driving a very linear 8ohm speaker...

I fear I completely messed up on this one...

(I'm only showing the big pieces, obviously it needs input/output jacks, bridge rectifier, etc.)

thanks,

-tal

Attachments

• pict0131.jpg
    pict0131.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 933
alternative...3 boxes?

hello,

How about splitting the two monoblock amplifiers into three pieces, like maxlorenz recommends?

The power supply box will have:
the two toroidal transformers
the switch
Neutrik 4-pole Speakon speaker connectors to deliver the power to each

Amplifier box which will have:

the UCD400
the rectifier
the filter capacitors
the speaker output jack
the balanced XLR input jack

How's this?

thanks again,

-tal

ACK!

hello,

Okay, it comes down to this:

Should I send nothing more than the transformer output to the amplifier boxes, and then rectify and filter in the same box as the UCD400, or should I have the bridge rectifiers and the filter caps in the transformer box, and send clean rectified filtered DC to the UCD400 box?

thanks again,

-tal

Re: ACK!

taloyd said:
hello,

Okay, it comes down to this:

Should I send nothing more than the transformer output to the amplifier boxes, and then rectify and filter in the same box as the UCD400, or should I have the bridge rectifiers and the filter caps in the transformer box, and send clean rectified filtered DC to the UCD400 box?

thanks again,

-tal

I love your footnote (the thing about Goering), you should send it to some of the current worldrulers.

Gertjan

new approach!!!

hello,

I decided to just make every one-channel box, a two-channel.

Since I'm actively bi-amping the entire system anyway, I can get rid of my other amp (if the UCD400 performs as well as a Crown K2...) and run only low-level input and the transformer output all the way to the amplifiers, then rectify and filter the power, and plug directly into the speaker only a foot away, as the amplifier will be bolted to the speaker enclosure.

So, I'm going to buy a 1000VA transformer, two more UCD400s, and have an even better system!

cheers,

-tal

ps: the Crown K2 is awesome...
http://www.crownaudio.com/amp_htm/kspecs.htm
Professionally built class-D, limitless power, amazing damping factor, bulletproof... I'm actually really happy with it...

what about AC?

hello,

What if I mount the bridge rectifiers/filter caps in the amp box, and so the only thing coming into the amp box is the transformer output?

Then it'd be +/- 40VAC going to the rectifiers in the box. Would that help the power transmission issue?

thanks,

-tal

ps: I've rethought the transformers too. I talked to Avel Lindberg and they said they'd give me a full refund since the transformers are unused. So I think I'll get two 1000VA 40-0-40 transformers, one for the left two channels, and one for the right two channels. Or should I set it up so it's one for the woofer, and one for the full-range driver (Manger!), like a traditional stereo amp?

Hi,

Personally, for what this is worth to you, I still don't like the looks of your case.

For dual mono blocks I think your current installation idea is fine, although, having a seperate box just for a transformer ..not very elegant.. may as well just buy one that's a decent size, or, build the supply in the box and install the module inside the speaker?

From looking at the pic you've supplied us with, if you put two modules + two sets of filter caps of the same size shown, you're already seriously squeezed for space and I think you'd have a hard time squeezing the rectifiers and connectors in there, let alone doing a half decent job of it.

Furthermore you now have two modules in very close relation, this could give you a heterodyning whistle and you won't be able to do anything about it because there's no room allowing the modules to be seperated further.

It may also prove to be difficult to seperate your signal wires from your power wires.

This could all prove to be a serious compromise to an otherwise excellent amp. Get a bigger case, and use a good layout, that's really all you have to do to get the most out of it. Those little boxes will come in handy for some other project.

Regards,
Chris

the final design!

hello again,

So I've elected to buy two more UCD400 modules, replace my 330VA 40-0-40 transformers with 1000VA 40-0-40, and make two stereo (or more properly, 2-channel, as each box will be driving one bi-amplified speaker) amplifiers.

So the tranny will be mounted in the box, a very big aluminum box, 17x13x5.5 inches, or 43x33x14cm. I realized I can hide the entire box inside my 24" (61cm) U-frame dipole woofer frame.

So there will be lots of space for the transformer, the two UCD400 modules, and capacitors, heatsinks, etc. I'm going to be using this heatsink, for two modules on opposite ends:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7507547760&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

(eBay item # 7507547760)

I think this will end up being the optimal solution... and I'll have 4 channels worth of UCD400 that I built! Which will compare well to the Carver ZR1000 and Crown K2 combination I'm using now...

(anybody want a Carver ZR1000 or Crown K2? $700 for the first, $800 for the 2nd!)

cheers!

-tal

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.