UCD400 layout... I screwed up! - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th April 2005, 06:44 AM   #11
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I tink low impedance feed is more important that switching residuals from rectification. I say move rectifyer and caps to the UCD box. At least caps.

/
Old 10th April 2005, 09:16 PM   #12
Account Disabled

Send a message via AIM to classd4sure Send a message via MSN to classd4sure
Hi,

Personally, for what this is worth to you, I still don't like the looks of your case.

For dual mono blocks I think your current installation idea is fine, although, having a seperate box just for a transformer ..not very elegant.. may as well just buy one that's a decent size, or, build the supply in the box and install the module inside the speaker?

From looking at the pic you've supplied us with, if you put two modules + two sets of filter caps of the same size shown, you're already seriously squeezed for space and I think you'd have a hard time squeezing the rectifiers and connectors in there, let alone doing a half decent job of it.

Furthermore you now have two modules in very close relation, this could give you a heterodyning whistle and you won't be able to do anything about it because there's no room allowing the modules to be seperated further.

It may also prove to be difficult to seperate your signal wires from your power wires.

This could all prove to be a serious compromise to an otherwise excellent amp. Get a bigger case, and use a good layout, that's really all you have to do to get the most out of it. Those little boxes will come in handy for some other project.

Regards,
Chris
Old 14th April 2005, 12:51 AM   #13
taloyd is offline taloyd  United States
diyAudio Member

Default the final design!

hello again,

So I've elected to buy two more UCD400 modules, replace my 330VA 40-0-40 transformers with 1000VA 40-0-40, and make two stereo (or more properly, 2-channel, as each box will be driving one bi-amplified speaker) amplifiers.

So the tranny will be mounted in the box, a very big aluminum box, 17x13x5.5 inches, or 43x33x14cm. I realized I can hide the entire box inside my 24" (61cm) U-frame dipole woofer frame.

So there will be lots of space for the transformer, the two UCD400 modules, and capacitors, heatsinks, etc. I'm going to be using this heatsink, for two modules on opposite ends:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

(eBay item # 7507547760)

I think this will end up being the optimal solution... and I'll have 4 channels worth of UCD400 that I built! Which will compare well to the Carver ZR1000 and Crown K2 combination I'm using now...

(anybody want a Carver ZR1000 or Crown K2? $700 for the first, $800 for the 2nd!)

cheers!

-tal

Hide this!Advertise here!